Temperature questions after first start on 81 kz1000

• KzRoger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 KZ1000 24k miles.
More
15 Jul 2018 09:41 #786983 by KzRoger
I just got this bike running after sitting for 13 years.  Carbs rebuilt, new B8ES plugs, new solid core wires.  It runs smooth and revs smooth but I am seeing a little smoke when revving which may be lube I sprayed in the cylinder before priming the oil system, but the center cylinders are running about half the temperature of the outer cylinders. To me that seems like maybe a weak coli but wanted to ask if others have had this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2018 10:36 #786986 by old_kaw
Or possibly a lean condition on 1&4? The center two cylinders usually run hotter due to their locations.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

• KzRoger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 KZ1000 24k miles.
More
15 Jul 2018 11:23 #786989 by KzRoger
Its possible. I will pull the plugs and see how they look compared to the outside cylinders. 

If it makes a difference I am taking readings with a laser thermometer an inch from the exhaust mounting brackets. 

More
15 Jul 2018 12:24 #786993 by old_kaw

KzRoger wrote: Its possible. I will pull the plugs and see how they look compared to the outside cylinders. 

If it makes a difference I am taking readings with a laser thermometer an inch from the exhaust mounting brackets. 

That sounds a lot more accurate than anything I have readily available here. Keep in mind that the stock exhaust tubing has an inner and outer tube. The inner may be touching the outer tube at different locations. It may be a big nothing-burger, but then again.. 

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

• KzRoger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 KZ1000 24k miles.
More
15 Jul 2018 12:59 #786996 by KzRoger
I didn't know about the double wall in the exhaust but that could make a difference.  I also have yet to sync the carbs so the outer ones could be flowing more than the inner ones.  I'll set the sync and check the plugs and then asses what I find after I eliminate more variables. 

More
15 Jul 2018 13:40 #786998 by Nessism
Did you adjust the valves?  if not, I'd do that straight away.  And use your thermometer right after a cold start to check to see if the bike is running on 4 cylinders.  It almost sounds like one cylinder is dropping out.  And remember, the coils fire in pairs so unless two cylinders are dropping out the coil is most likely okay.

• KzRoger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 KZ1000 24k miles.
More
16 Jul 2018 10:51 #787059 by KzRoger
Ed, I do have two cylinders low.  Both the inner ones are reading low.  They are both on the same coil and their temp is within 10 degrees which is why I first went to suspecting a coil.  There is still other possibilities but I know that coil is firing because you can hear it change when I pull that coil offline. I am planning on getting back to the bike today or tomorrow. Check carb sync, check voltage at both coils, check plugs and see what it all tells me.  It is the fact that they both are on the same coil and there is so little variation in temperature between the two cylinders that is nagging at, but I will look at everything.

More
16 Jul 2018 11:29 #787063 by Nessism
Checking voltage at the coil is worth doing.  Resistance building up in the wiring is not uncommon.
And again, do the valves for sure.