Budget Head Rebuild question

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2018 10:04 #786938 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Budget Head Rebuild question was created by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Has anyone here rebuilt their own cylinder head? I have a 1982 KZ750 4 cylinder with a sticking intake valve. I have years of automotive experience, including full rebuilds of engines.

I bought this KZ as a "barn" find and am hoping to keeping the budget for getting it back on the road as low as possible. I've pulled the cylinder head off and found I can stick my fingernail partially into the #3 intake valve. I don't see any evidence of a thrown rod or any contact between the valve and the piston. Am I somewhat safe in guessing there is some rust build up causing the valve to stick and not fully close?

Would I have a reasonable chance of success to pull everything apart, clean up any rust and carbon build up on the valves, run a brass brush up and down the valve guides, reassemble adjusting the valve clearances? Maybe doing a basic valve lap while I have it apart. I know its not the "proper" way, but I've had quotes as high as $350 just for a basic head rebuild. That's more than I paid for the bike.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2018 10:16 #786939 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Budget Head Rebuild question
Pull the valves and inspect everything.  That will tell the story regarding what is wrong.  Valves hanging open like you describe could be from a bent stem but valves are cheap enough if you look in ebay.  

BTW, $350 for a proper valve job and assembly is not that bad.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth82KZ750HLTD

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2018 10:22 #786940 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Replied by Seth82KZ750HLTD on topic Budget Head Rebuild question
Yes, I do agree that $350 is reasonable for a complete valve job. But like I mentioned, hoping to keep this bike a cheap budget restore and do as much work on my own as I can. Especially when I have the skills, just might not have the specific tools needed.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
14 Jul 2018 11:17 #786944 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Budget Head Rebuild question
Did you check the valve clearance/lash before tearing it apart.  It could be that a smaller shim is all that is necessary to fully close the valve in question. 

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2018 13:17 #786997 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Replied by Seth82KZ750HLTD on topic Budget Head Rebuild question
While I did not, I'm pretty confident that clearance isn't my problem as the gap slowly closed over the course of 2 days with the head just sitting on my bench.