Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel Leak from here when I started the bike 10 Jul 2018 11:19 #786723

• markfabs
  • markfabs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a ZRX1200 and noticed some fuel drips under the bike the past couple days, this morning when I started it, fuel was shooting out of this nozzle so I turned it off quick. The fuel line coming from the petcock with the filter seem fine but there was another hose that ended between the tank and this nozzle. At first I thought someone cut my fuel line but now I'm not sure if something came undone. Not my engine in the pic just showing where the fuel was shooting from. Please help an ignorant person. I ride but not very mechanically inclined. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by markfabs.

Fuel Leak from here when I started the bike 10 Jul 2018 12:14 #786725

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1906
Stop running the engine and check your oil level. It looks like you diluted your engine oil with fuel.
The part you have mark is the crankcase breather cover and only a little mist of oil or moisture should come out there but no fuel.

One or more of your carb needle valve is stuck and leaking fuel into your air filter housing and crankcase breather cover nozzle into the crankcase.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: markfabs

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Fuel Leak from here when I started the bike 10 Jul 2018 13:53 #786726

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2076
Definitely do not try to start the engine until this is fixed.

Scirocco is correct. What you have here is a common problem. The fuel petcock and the float valve in each carb needs to be taken apart and carefully cleaned and polished, and the rubber seals in the petcock need to be replaced.
You also need to drain the crankcase to remove all that contaminated oil. Replace the filter and oil with new.

The small hose you saw that is connected to the fuel tank is either the tank vent hose, or the drain hose for the fuel level sender cover. They both terminate in front of the swingarm along with the carb vent tubes.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: markfabs

Fuel Leak from here when I started the bike 11 Jul 2018 06:36 #786764

• markfabs
  • markfabs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you both for your time and expertise, A year ago I had the carbs rebuilt and stage 2 jets and new tires. it has run fantastic up until now. It must have been sitting for no more than 2 weeks. Moving to a Condo in September that doesn't allow motorcycles so I don't know if I want to spend more now. Anyone interested in a parts bike or a project and your in Fort Lauderdale Area let me know. Thanks again !!

• Page: