750 Twin cylinder temp - revisited

More
08 Jul 2018 12:53 #786626 by kzsolo
750 Twin cylinder temp - revisited was created by kzsolo
1978 KZ Twin. Right cylinder running noticeably hotter than the left. Timing and carb sync are now spot on, and while better, right still runs hotter. Still need to check valve clearances but not hearing much lifter noise. Iif those are OK I am guessing that I have an exhaust valve that is leaking? Would that cause the temp difference? Would a compression check confirm that? Thanks for all the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2018 14:06 #786633 by Nessism

More
08 Jul 2018 21:04 - 08 Jul 2018 21:05 #786648 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp - revisited
Check and adjust valve clearances first.
Then insure that the spark plugs and ignition are up to snuff.
Then, using the clear tube method, insure that fuel level in each carb is correct.
Insure that the air fiilter is clean and that there are no obstructions in the intake system.
Insure that the rubber connectors between the air filter box and the carbs, and the carb holders are soft and leak free.
Synchronize the carbs and adjust the idle speed to spec.
If there is still a difference, there may be some clogged passages in one or both carbs.

Follow the order in the factory service manual carefully. For instance, adjusting the valve clearance may change the vacuum signals to the carbs, necessitating adjusting them again. Adjusting the valves first, means adjusting the carbs only once.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 08 Jul 2018 21:05 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
09 Jul 2018 12:56 #786685 by kzsolo
Replied by kzsolo on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp - revisited
OK, very good lesson here. I didn't realize that valve clearance could change the carb vacuum, so the order you are recommending makes perfect sense. Everything else that you mentioned in the list is in good order 'cuz I was doing this backwards. Ha! Time to pop the valve cover off. Thanks!