1983 KZ440 ltd

More
01 Jul 2018 10:44 - 01 Jul 2018 12:01 #786224 by Grcko
1983 KZ440 ltd was created by Grcko
First some background. This is the first bike I have had and while I have a clue how to work on cars ,I have never done bikes before. I have replaced the wires and plugs. Carburetor has been rebuilt due to bad float gasket and float needles. Compression was 130 cold 140 hot 160 hot with oil #1 cylinder and 150 cold 150 hot and 170 hot with oil #2 cylinder.
When bike is started it is burning oil like crazy and was leaking a small amount of oil out of the exhaust where the slip-on meets the pipes. I replaced the valve stem oil seals and this helped a lot. Now when running, it runs at about 3000 rpm for a couple of minutes the nslowly drops down until it dies. Idle screw adjustment does not change idle. Adjusting air/ fuel mixture up from two turns to four or all the way down changes nothing. It also coughs out the right carb. I dropped the exhaust and ran finger inside the block. #1 was dry sooty back and #2 wet oily black.
Is the next step to take off the top end and check for piston issues? Thoughts?

As Always,

1983 KZ440
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 12:01 by Grcko. Reason: Bad Subject Line

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2018 19:36 #786330 by Grcko
Replied by Grcko on topic 1983 KZ440 ltd
I want to apologize for the bad subject line. I know it is really bad form not to have a specific subject. I tried to fix it but couldn't. Again my apologies.

As Always,

1983 KZ440

More
04 Jul 2018 11:53 #786409 by Grcko
Replied by Grcko on topic 1983 KZ440 ltd
So I pulled the head off today. Left side exhaust outlet a little oily and the right side was dry. Flipped it over and the left side was dry and the right side was slightly oily. Left piston was dry while the right was slightly oily. Head gasket looked ok. It actually came right off with a little prying. I have no idea why the oily areas are different from what I think they should be. I am going to replace the head gasket and hope for the best at this point. I will probably re-seat the valves while I have the off as well.
Any thoughts on what the issue is would be appreciated.
Any suggestions on a good gasket brand?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

As Always,

1983 KZ440