Using high-temp silicone for minor head oil leak?

More
25 Jun 2018 08:41 #785871 by RatEgg
Hello,

I have a 1980 KZ-750G that's in pretty decent shape, but it has a minor head leak on the left cylinder. The leak appears to be coming from the front of the cylinder closest to the wheel. This causes the surrounding fins to look wet and consistently produces a large bead of oil resting at the fin/head "seam" after highway riding. On hot days and during extended riding, the leak produces some smoke. I believe it is a fairly slow leak.

I am planning on replacing the head gasket come winter as I live in Minnesota and the bike is my daily commuter. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out ways to mitigate the leak. I am considering applying some high-temp RTV silicone directly on the head/cam-cover seam in-between the fins on the surface of the engine. From my research online, I have heard mixed things about this approach.

I have already re-torqued the head and cover bolts to little effect. I just need something to get me through the next few months. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would applying silicone help slow or stop the leak? Would it interfere with replacing the head gasket in a few months when I get around to it? Is there anything else I can do, besides biting the bullet and replacing the head gasket this summer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
25 Jun 2018 14:18 #785881 by tachrev
Won't hurt anything to try, but I wouldn't count on it to work if the head gasket is leaking oil. Clean it well so the silicone has the best chance to seal.

Permatex grey or yamabond would be your best bet.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
27 Jun 2018 00:41 #785958 by kevski
The silicone thing is just botching, best thing is to clean up the area and determine exactly where the leak is, then buy a gasket set, and if you have a day or two, do the job from cold, it could be done in a morning if all else is well.