LIGHT TAPPING NOISE

More
20 Jun 2018 05:26 #785503 by brent456
LIGHT TAPPING NOISE was created by brent456
I have a 1981 kz1100 and it made a light tapping noise when i started it up the other day but once engine warmed up went away. Any ideas. I was think exhaust leak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
20 Jun 2018 05:44 #785505 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic LIGHT TAPPING NOISE

brent456 wrote: I have a 1981 kz1100 and it made a light tapping noise when i started it up the other day but once engine warmed up went away. Any ideas. I was think exhaust leak

Valve shim adjustment

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
20 Jun 2018 07:19 #785510 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic LIGHT TAPPING NOISE
An exhaust leak can sound like a loose valve. It goes without saying that the valves MUST be checked and adjusted per the factory manual so I'd do that straight away regardless. Even with the valves okay, and there being no exhaust leaks, some light ticking during warm up is normal for these old bikes.

More
20 Jun 2018 07:27 - 20 Jun 2018 07:27 #785512 by brent456
Replied by brent456 on topic LIGHT TAPPING NOISE
Well i had the whole top end rebuild and piston re-ring. Also had 4 in one exhaust put on at the same time. only have maybe 400 miles on it since the rebuild.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 07:27 by brent456.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
20 Jun 2018 17:03 #785539 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic LIGHT TAPPING NOISE

Nessism wrote: An exhaust leak can sound like a loose valve. It goes without saying that the valves MUST be checked and adjusted per the factory manual so I'd do that straight away regardless. Even with the valves okay, and there being no exhaust leaks, some light ticking during warm up is normal for these old bikes.

I agree with what Ed says above.
Exhaust leaks are common and sound like a valve ticking. But dont usually stop once the motor is warmed up.
So put a wrench on the exhaust nuts and eliminate this as a possible source of the tick ( easy )
Next Valves...
If the tick stops when motor warms up chances are the valve tolerances tighten up and this silences the tick.
If so the tick is from a valve which may even be in spec , but at the looser end of the specs.
You should recheck your valve clearances after a rebuild and periodically their after.
Its part of on going maintenance
Ride it and enjoy it
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn