Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Parts compatibiity? 19 Jun 2018 09:32 #785428

• Calvin9819
  • Calvin9819's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey all, so ive got a 1982 Kz550 C3 on hand that needs some parts. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help finding which parts i can take from other models? what i need is:
Speedometer
Exhaust
brake drum

i figured most speedometers would be about the same, but im not sure. Im working with someone who has a 1980 kz550 A. we know the exhaust doesnt fit, but im trying to figure out if the speedo gauge would. Any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parts compatibiity? 19 Jun 2018 10:57 #785430

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
There is some variance in KZ speedometers, one difference being the diameter. The simplest thing to do would be to get good meters from a 550C Ltd. Keep in mind that there can be some differences in the meter warning lights, usually with the tachometer.

I believe the KZ550 Ltd meters are the same size as the KZ750E & KZ1000P.
The 550C Ltd has the same meter bracket as the 550A which has the same meter covers as the 750E, so their diameters should be the same.
The 750E & 1000P meters are a smaller diameter than the KZ750H Ltd & KZ650-CSR.

Most if not all Japanese speedometers have the same ratio: 2240 rpms = 1 mile.
Suitable aftermarket speedos are usually listed as 2240@60mph which is the same ratio.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Parts compatibiity? 19 Jun 2018 11:03 #785431

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
I've got a spare 750E speedo. The needle wobbles a little at certain speeds but it's not horrible. What size (diameter) is your current meter?

One difference in the meters is the color of the internal bezel near the glass. Some speedo's use a blue/green bezel and others black.

Parts compatibiity? 19 Jun 2018 13:06 #785435

• martin_csr
  • User
For the mufflers the best match would be the 550C Ltd. The other 550 muffler systems can probably be used, but you may have to fabricate muffler hanger brackets. Center stand clearance is another possible issue with non-stock mufflers.
The mufflers from a different sized motorcycle won't fit.

The 550C drum brake is the same as the other 550s & 650-CSR. They come in black or silver, but they do swap. The earlier 650 drum brake components may be the same as well. I put 550 Ltd wheels & Fr br disk on my 650-CSR & everything from the CSR hubs swapped to the Ltd wheels. If the drum is glazed, you can sand it. I used 100 grit sandpaper. don't breathe the dust as it has asbestos.

1981 KZ650-CSR with KZ550-Ltd wheels. all hub & rear brake components are from the 650

Parts compatibiity? 19 Jun 2018 13:42 #785439

• Calvin9819
  • Calvin9819's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
so the speedo from the 80' kz550 A should work with mine? (im not too worried about the bevel color, i just need one that works for now lol.)
and you mean diameter as just the size of the gauge? cuz if its a little bigger or smaller, i dont care haha.

Exhaust, i might wait to buy right from a 550 C. plus i dont have a center stand, and it looks like they should have one sooooo gotta go searchin

brake drum, not susre if the drum itself is bad or just needs components cleaned out. it binds up at maxiumum use range on the indicator stamped into the drum , but the pedal comes back, and the tire still moves freely.

i might take you up on that speedometer, depending on what this guy says!

Parts compatibiity? 20 Jun 2018 05:22 #785502

• martin_csr
  • User
If the meter diameter is different, then the mounting studs are spaced differently & mounting an incorrectly sized meter might be a pain.

Mufflers. I really don't know, but the 550A mufflers might be a good fit & probably the shaft drive models as well.
Kind of related, the mufflers in the pic above are from a 750E --- it was a direct fit, even the center stand recess on the LH side was in the same location. The 750E is a standard model as is the 550A & the CSR is similar to an Ltd.

If the rear brake is binding, first thing I'd do is make sure it's adjusted properly, and I would remove the rear wheel & inspect the brake components. If you don't know the age of the brake shoes, replace them, even if they look fine & have plenty of friction material. The adhesive gets old & brittle, so a lining can separate from a shoe & get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the rear wheel. It happened to me, so it does happen.

• Page: