750 Twin cylinder temp

More
14 Jun 2018 14:15 #785169 by kzsolo
750 Twin cylinder temp was created by kzsolo
I resurrected a '78 Twin that sat for 12 years with a locked up motor. I have it started now but noticed a difference in the cylinder temperatures. After 2-4 minutes of warm up the right cylinder is very warm (I can only keep my palm on the fins for 3-5 seconds) and the left is much cooler (more than 10 seconds with my palm). Carbs have been sonic cleaned and rebuilt, floats adjusted, 1 1/2 turns out on idle screws, and bench (not vacuum) sync'd. Two odd things 1) the right plug looks good and the left plug looks sooty 2) I get a little exhaust lifter noise after a couple minutes of warm up.

So the questions 1) Inadequate oil return on the right side? 2) Still need to vacuum sync the carbs? 3) The right side temp is actually correct and the left is running cooler because it is running a little richer?? 4) Other thoughts?? Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2018 15:35 #785177 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp
Sounds like the LH cylinder isn't firing properly. Have you checked the valve adjustment? Performed a compression check?

You may want to (carefully) check the header pipes for heat after a cold start. It's not uncommon for one to be cool (not firing) and the other scorching hot (firing.)

When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the pilot screws to clean those passages? 1.5 turns open is on the shy side too. Try 2.5 turns and then tweek/tune to the highest idle (assuming both cylinders are firing of course.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzsolo

More
14 Jun 2018 15:42 - 14 Jun 2018 15:46 #785178 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp
How did you break it free? WD40 in the cylinders? If that's the case I'd be looking at compression first. Possibly scored cylinder walls and rings.

Blow by out the vent?

You can also do a power balance test. Short the spark to ground at one cylinder at a time and compare the drop in RPM. Poor compression, poor combustion, lower cylinder temp.

Aside from the seat, looks pretty clean!

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 14 Jun 2018 15:46 by VTEC.

More
15 Jun 2018 06:20 - 15 Jun 2018 06:22 #785195 by kzsolo
Replied by kzsolo on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp
I will check the compression and do a balance test. I tweaked the idle screws last night (out on Right, in on Left) and the temp difference seemed smaller. It does not smoke at all so I am hoping the rings and walls are good. I broke it free with a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and used oil (used oil has some acid in it). I kept topping it off over 5 weeks and tugged (gently) on the crankshaft bolt once a week. Went to tug on the crankshaft on week 5 and it just started moving. This is the second motor (see the Yamaha I got for free attached) that I used this method on and it worked both times. Both had sat under a tarp in the backyard for more than 10 years so they did not look this good when I got them!! Thanks for the feedback.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 06:22 by kzsolo.

More
15 Jun 2018 12:43 - 15 Jun 2018 12:44 #785210 by kzsolo
Yeah, that seat foam is pretty ugly. Just got the seat finished up last night so I took a pic with its "brothers". The frame and seat pan have been shortened 4" but the seat still locks and flips up like the original.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 12:44 by kzsolo.

More
15 Jun 2018 12:56 #785211 by Nessism

More
15 Jun 2018 13:13 #785214 by kzsolo
I guess I assumed that they would all wear about the same and wouldn't contribute to a temp difference between the cylinders. However, I do have checking the clearances on my To Do list.

More
15 Jun 2018 14:38 #785215 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 750 Twin cylinder temp
Valve clearance goes down with mileage and when it's all gone the valves and seats in the head burn. The laziness of many owners leads to serious damage to these parts which is why it's absolutely critical to perform a valve adjustment on any old bike you purchase. Damaged valves will cause poor compression which first manifests itself as a poor idle and hot running/starting issues.