• Ronnie_D
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000 A2
More
04 Jun 2018 22:15 #784641 by Ronnie_D
Oil bath for the stator ? was created by Ronnie_D
Hello to all,

Does the stator cover have engine oil in it or do I have a bad crank seal?
Never seen an oil bathed stator before...lol

cheers,
Ron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2018 22:31 - 04 Jun 2018 22:47 #784643 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Oil bath for the stator ?

Ronnie_D wrote: Hello to all,

Does the stator cover have engine oil in it or do I have a bad crank seal?
Never seen an oil bathed stator before...lol

cheers,
Ron.

Depends on which bike you have.

I see you have the 78 1000, so yours should have some oil on it. It should not be submerged in oil though.

The bikes that have the starter clutch attached to the alternator rotor will have some oil in the alternator housing (to lube the starter clutch). Generally, that would be the Kz400 based twins, the Kz750 based twins, the 900/1000/1100 fours. Maybe some of the smaller bikes.

Those bikes that have the starter clutch in the main engine cases should be dry inside the alternator cover. Generally that would be the 550 based inline fours (400/500/550), and 650 based inline fours (650/700/750).

I'm probably forgetting some.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2018 22:47 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Ronnie_D

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
04 Jun 2018 22:48 - 04 Jun 2018 22:50 #784646 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Oil bath for the stator ?
I recently had my stator cover off to repair the standard grommet leak where the wires come out of the cover. I thought the cover would be holding oil because my boot was getting oiled pretty well. Had a drip pan in place and just a dribble came out. I was truly amazed how much oil could make it out of a grommet at the two o'clock position with so little oil in the cover.

I have a new grommet in hand but decided I did not wish to cut any wires. I got some degreaser in a spray bottle which claimed not to leave a residue. After the cover was off I turned the cover to get a good cleaning. After soaking for awhile squirted water to removed the degreaser and blew dry with shop air. I then sprayed brake cleaner in the grommet area and blew out with shop air. After waiting a while to make sure the grommet was completely dry, I slathered on some Honda Bond over the grommet area with a piece of tape to allow the Honda Bond to cover the grommet all the to the edge of the cover. I let it dry over night.

The next day I inspected the Honda Bond it ensure all of the grommet was covered and the area with the wires were well covered, I found the Honda Bond was not totally hardened and question if it ever will. Removed the tape put a dab of Honda Bond on the gasket that would meet with the edge of the Honda Bond applied the day before. Put new screws in, tightened down and put everything back I had taken off to get the stator cover off. To date no leaks no marking territory and my boot is dry. Yeah.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 04 Jun 2018 22:50 by Z1Driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronnie_D

• Ronnie_D
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000 A2
More
05 Jun 2018 09:05 #784658 by Ronnie_D
Replied by Ronnie_D on topic Oil bath for the stator ?
thank you for your responses.
I am glad I don't have to do a crank seal.

cheers,
Ron.