Broken crank dowel pin

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
29 May 2018 15:38 #784330 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Broken crank dowel pin

I have done the same thing. Use a carbide drill bit and get a compression pin and tap it into the hole. It is always nice to drill a straight hole and it is a lot easier to do this with a carbide drill bit (I think I already mentioned it). I have fixed several this way and it works fine.

This is the compression pin wiredgeorge talk about. This would be a good alternativ if a bore have a little greater diameter as the dowel pin.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2018 05:55 #784343 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Broken crank dowel pin

SWest wrote: Just be careful. At some point it should start spinning and you can pull it out while it does.
Steve

It won't spin. I say this based on experience of drilling the pin on a number of times. The pin is in there tight.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 May 2018 09:09 #784355 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Broken crank dowel pin

Ojisan rider wrote:
Anyway, thinking of using arc welder rod as puller material after it gets welded to the pin. Anybody have any experience in this? Any other good method of getting this thing out? Help!

if you have got the hole in the pin fairly central with material remaining on all sides you could slip in an arc rod and then quickly flash it with the welder which may fuse the rod to the inside of the pin and enable it to be pulled out.
Just be sure not to let the rod hit the bottom of the hole if you have gone all the way through the pin as you risk the rod sticking to the crank.
If the pin is soft enough to drill then anyone with a steady hand should be able to get it out without damage to the hole, especially if the pin is now below the surface and you have the original hole as a guide.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 May 2018 01:50 #784392 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Broken crank dowel pin
Thanks Zed. But like everyone have said, I'll probably take it to local machine shop and see what they say. I just didn't want to take it to them as we really don't have any good machine shop around here. And when asked where is the good shop, they all say one pl;ace who specialized in Chevy and Harley engine.

Anyway, I'll ask them and see if they can take it out.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.