ignition curves and performance

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
16 May 2018 22:53 - 16 May 2018 22:56 #783519 by Zaddict
ignition curves and performance was created by Zaddict
Clearly I have an addiction. Two actually. One is working on my bike and the second is riding it. I'm just about out of mods to do, short of boring out the engine to 615cc (from 550). One thing I haven't messed with is the ignition. I found this ignition kit on Webike, which has selectable ignition curves (all custom configured for the zr400/550), as well as a rev limiter, a hotter spark (which allows for a larger spark plug gap) and rave reviews translated from Japanese (e.g. "torque is overflowing"). It's pricey but if I can manage to eke out a little more performance I'd be happy. Has anybody had good/bad/indifferent experiences with adjusting the ignition timing on their z?

japan.webike.net/products/21586552.html

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2018 22:56 by Zaddict.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2018 09:14 #783550 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ignition curves and performance
I have noticed a little more zing with plug gaps that were much wider than stock... like 50% wider or more. But that really stresses the coils. Eventually I started to get misfire at wider throttle openings due to sparks leaking out along the plug wires or out from under the plug boots. Eventually it will wreck a coil.

I would imagine the ZR ignition is probably pretty good if it is like the Zx550 curve. I haven't played around too much with timing other than total advance. But I already start to get a little knocking on hot days in the summer if I don't downshift and give it too much throttle. This is with the all/nothing mechanical advance, though. I think the Zx system was good upgrade for a Kz, but they are getting harder to find nowadays.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.