HELP! I want to put a kickstarter on my 1981 KZ750E

More
07 May 2018 20:25 #783050 by ryanlewis85
Hi guys!

As you may know, the 1981 KZ750E does NOT come with a kickstarter. However, the case definitely indicates where one shoud/could be.

Has anyone converted it to having one? Are there kits available that you can use to retrofit it?

Thanks as always guys, you are life savers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2018 05:42 - 08 May 2018 05:45 #783058 by JMKZHI
Are you prepared tp split the engine case? Because that has to be done to install a kick starter and clutch cover from a KZ650. I've never done it, but the level of difficulty has got to be pretty high.
Last edit: 08 May 2018 05:45 by JMKZHI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryanlewis85

More
08 May 2018 05:47 #783060 by Nessism
This topic comes up regularly and there is info in the archives on what to do (one such thread linked below, there are many more). Basically, you need to split the cases and transplant the kickstart mechanism into your engine. There is no "kit" available.

Good luck.

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/37032-kickstart-addition

More
08 May 2018 07:20 #783065 by KZB2 650
I've thought about doing the opposite and removing mine but wanted to stay away from splitting the cases. To late in life for me now,,,,,, figured a lightened crank and this would have knocked off a good 8 lbs?? along with the 810 kit would a been a blast.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
08 May 2018 12:58 #783084 by ryanlewis85
Replied by ryanlewis85 on topic HELP! I want to put a kickstarter on my 1981 KZ750E
Thank you Nessism. We literally just took apart the case to fix the starter clutch. Figured I would have to dive back in there, but its more now the issue of finding the parts necessary, hence the convenience of a "kit"!

Thanks so much as always, will def poke around the archives.

More
08 May 2018 13:13 #783087 by Nessism

ryanlewis85 wrote: Thank you Nessism. We literally just took apart the case to fix the starter clutch. Figured I would have to dive back in there, but its more now the issue of finding the parts necessary, hence the convenience of a "kit"!

Thanks so much as always, will def poke around the archives.

Just to be clear, when people talk about "splitting the cases" they are referring to separating the two lower crankcase halves. A big job.
To change the starter clutch on your bike the cases do not need to be split. You do need to remove some engine covers though.

Regarding parts, Partzilla has the OEM Kawasaki parts fishe so you can see all the stuff that's inside the engine (and the complete bike for that matter). You can also find this info on the Kawasaki website if you would rather.

An ebay search on "kz650 kick start" turned up most of the parts you will need.

Good luck,.