KZ750 clutch release differences

More
02 May 2018 14:17 #782737 by chilly_75
KZ750 clutch release differences was created by chilly_75
1982 KZ750 (E3)
As I'm working through my clutch to figure out why it's not releasing, I've come to learn that there are two different clutch release mechanisms. The 'normal' one is shown in the service manual as figure E88 on page 66. However, in the appendix supplement for the 1982 model, on page 295, figure N30 shows a different clutch release mechanism. This correctly matches the one on my bike, so that's all good.
My question is, are these two different style releases interchangeable? My cover has the threaded holes that the 'normal' one attaches to, so my hunch is that they may be interchangeable. If they are, is one style better than the other? While I have it all apart, I'd like to go with the better choice of the two if possible. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2018 17:12 #782741 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ750 clutch release differences
The type shown in E88 is the early type. I think the later version is better because it's simpler and uses only three (larger) balls. According to the parts fishe at Partzilla the cover is the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chilly_75

More
03 May 2018 06:30 #782755 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic KZ750 clutch release differences
My 1981 Kawasaki has the early style and I've never had a problem with it.
Whenever you have the engine sprocket cover off, just clean and lubricate it and check that it operates smoothly, then you should be good to go.