Spark plug hole stripped

More
26 Apr 2018 19:03 - 26 Apr 2018 19:13 #782455 by oilynight
Spark plug hole stripped was created by oilynight
This evening I was putting in new spark plugs for the season. All of last years came out as easy as they should but when I tried put a new plug into #2 of my 80 KZ750, suddenly it will not screw in more than about 1/3 of the way without becoming very tight. Obviously I don't want to brute force it in there, is running a tap into it a good idea or no? If so how do I find what size tap to buy?

I tried brushing the threads out with a toothbrush but it was too large to fit. Also took one of those telescoping magnets & fished around but it picked up very little inside.

1980 KZ750-H1
Last edit: 26 Apr 2018 19:13 by oilynight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 12:31 #782704 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Spark plug hole stripped
Make sure the treads on the plug are good. I had 1 that had a bugger in the threads and it almost cost me the plug hole threads. If you run a tap, use a reverse thread type. Starts at the bottom then comes up.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
04 May 2018 09:53 #782835 by oilynight
Replied by oilynight on topic Spark plug hole stripped
Plug threads are good, I ended up getting a reverse tap as recommended by Patton in a similar thread & it helped. Strange thing is I can get the plug in a turn or two at slight angles but then it stops, but going perfectly perpendicular to the hole as it was made took some finesse but made it all the way to the bottom. Even at max size the reverse tap easily went in & out by hand by the end of it.

1980 KZ750-H1

More
04 May 2018 17:18 #782872 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic Spark plug hole stripped

oilynight wrote: Also took one of those telescoping magnets & fished around but it picked up very little inside.

Glad you got it working. Just wanted to point out about the above that if you were stripping your sparkplug holes, any debris from that would be aluminum, since that's what the engine block is almost certainly cast from, and aluminum isn't magnetic.

More
12 May 2018 09:34 #783245 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Spark plug hole stripped
The old trick is to apply grease to the tap before running it through the plug hole. The metal particles adhere to the grease and come out with the tap.

There's no perfect way of getting the stuff out now without tear down, but you can go in with a brake bleeder. www.amazon.com/Mityvac-6830-Brake-Bleede...ty+max+brake+bleeder

It comes with a narrow tube you can use like a vacuum cleaner and suck stuff off the top of the piston.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
12 May 2018 09:37 #783246 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic Spark plug hole stripped

VTEC wrote:
There's no perfect way of getting the stuff out now without tear down, but you can go in with a brake bleeder. www.amazon.com/Mityvac-6830-Brake-Bleede...ty+max+brake+bleeder

It comes with a narrow tube you can use like a vacuum cleaner and suck stuff off the top of the piston.

A vacuum/shop vac with the end connected to tubing with some ducttape works as well.