Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

external oil feed to head 28 Jun 2021 14:35 #850856

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34
Hey guys! Thank you for posting about how to make an external oil feed to head, I'm very interested and want to learn more about doing this modification, I really want to do this and fairly soon. Would it be possible for someone to please post a list of all the specific parts that will be needed, as well as a list of specific tools needed?

Thank you! Gary

1982 KZ1100D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

external oil feed to head 30 Jun 2021 05:36 #850946

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34
Burning question, how and to what are these two lines connected on the case end? Looks like they're connected right near the oil pressure sending unit?  
1982 KZ1100D1

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 11:02 #890262

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
I know this is an old thread but I was hoping zed would read this and maybe repost the pictures that are missing from the first page.

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 12:15 #890267

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping zed would read this and maybe repost the pictures that are missing from the first page.

Been a few years since i posted this and my last PC ate all the pics when it self destructed.
Will have a hunt around and see if there's any duplicates i may have posted on other forums i can copy and paste.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Last edit: by zed1015.

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 12:33 #890268

• calum
  • User
Thanks. What size tap/grub screws did you use to plug the block?

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 13:13 #890271

• zed1015
  • User
The oil feed holes are around 6mm so i thread them M8 x 1.25mm.
I've just done a couple more cases for my latest builds and this time had to make some short slotted pan heads from hex bolts that sit in flush in a counter bored hole.
This was because the factory oil holes were drilled at a slightly steeper angle right over the top of main oil gallery that left a through hole with not a lot of depth for the threads which would have needed a very short grub screw with nothing to stop against and i wasn't going to chance just relying on loctite to stop them unscrewing and dropping in the gallery however slim that may be.
Normally the hole runs at an offset and cuts into the gallery wall which allows a grub screw to bottom out...
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, calum

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 14:12 #890274

• calum
  • User
Very tidy. At the moment I think I'll pull the gallery plugs and tap the holes before I paint the head. That will also make it easier to clean out anything left over after bead blasting. Then I'll just plug them and make sure my 11.5mm drill bit fits down the stock oil passages. If I have any problems with oil leaks down the road I can then switch to a dry block without damaging the paint.
​​​​​​
My main problem at the moment is that I have no idea how to route the oil lines to the head on my build. Should be easier to figure out after I've put everything back together.

Last edit: by calum.

external oil feed to head 09 Oct 2023 15:45 #890275

• zed1015
  • User
I've gone a simple more straight route on this latest build with a feed from the end of the main gallery straight up to a 4 branch manifold mounted with a couple of bolts on the cam cover.
Fittings in the head are AN4 threaded taper seat bulkhead instead of banjo bolts so it all unbolts and lifts away in about 10 mins or so .
The main feed can also be taken from the m14 port on the pressure switch and run up out of sight between the inlet boots but then it's not so easy to remove.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puffin, sf4t7, Mikaw, gordone, calum, howardhb, Wookie58

external oil feed to head 15 Oct 2023 10:48 #890516

• calum
  • User
I pulled out the plugs on the head today. I also opened up the cylinder stud channels to 11.5mm. As I said in the last post, the plan is to cut all the threads in the head before I paint it so I can dry block it later on, but just open up the channels now so I have enough flow. I may go straight with a dry block but I'm not sure at the moment - depends on whether I can route the hoses around the oil cooler hoses easily.
If I do go with the dry block I'll be using 10mm banjo bolts on AN4 fittings and will route them over the top as zed has done.

I have a couple of questions:
- What's the deal with the channels for the front outside cylinder studs? Looking at the galleries in the head oil runs into them from above, but looking at the crankcase it seems to be a dead end.
@zed1015:
- how did you get the M8 tap started for the plugs in the head? Did you make a jig to bore the holes out to ~7mm on the angle or did you just use an M7 tap (or imperial equivalent)?
- any chance you want to make me a manifold? ;) 

external oil feed to head 15 Oct 2023 12:30 #890523

• zed1015
  • User

I have a couple of questions:
- What's the deal with the channels for the front outside cylinder studs? Looking at the galleries in the head oil runs into them from above, but looking at the crankcase it seems to be a dead end.
@zed1015:
- how did you get the M8 tap started for the plugs in the head? Did you make a jig to bore the holes out to ~7mm on the angle or did you just use an M7 tap (or imperial equivalent)?

Oil comes up the rear stud to the inlet cam and across the horizontal drilling in the head to the exhaust.
Because of the way the diagonal galleries to the cams are configured off the stud holes the front one just fills with oil by default.
To thread the diagonals to the cams i use a small rotary burr to ease back some material on the angle to create a squared off end to the hole so that the drill and tap has a straight path at it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

• Page: