stripped cam cap threads

More
20 Mar 2018 11:15 #780506 by kawirider
stripped cam cap threads was created by kawirider
(1978 kz650-b2 project bike that spun a rod bearing) I was maybe a few hours work away from getting the engine completely assembled and ready for re-installation into the chassis but as I was torquing down the camshaft cap bolts, one of the bolts sheared the threads right out of the head. I went ahead and ordered a helicoil kit the same inside diameter threads as the other cam cap bolts. Before I get the kit and drill out the stripped threads, does anyone have any experience with something like this or have any better suggestions? (before anyone suggests it, I want to avoid bringing the head to a shop to get it done because my expenses on this project are already a bit much)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Mar 2018 12:24 #780509 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: kawirider

More
20 Mar 2018 12:28 #780511 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic stripped cam cap threads
Very common problem, especially with the bigger engines. Be sure that you are tightening to inch-pounds, not foot-pounds, and that you have the proper wrench to do so.
Many folks prefer time serts, but helicoils have plenty of fans and should work just fine if you follow the instructions .

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: kawirider

More
20 Mar 2018 14:29 #780515 by kawirider
Replied by kawirider on topic stripped cam cap threads
Thank you for the video and advice, I guess drilling out my cam cap threads seems a little daunting lol

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More