Zn700 not running

More
05 Mar 2018 10:42 #779781 by lemonyguy
Zn700 not running was created by lemonyguy
So over winter I decided to tackle adjusting my valve clearances. Come spring time I couldn't find the correct camshaft timing marks online and contacted kawisaki of USA and made a post. I got a few very helpful replies on the forum and from kawisaki. Even still the bike won't run. It seems like the cam timing is out cause the bike started once and ran on what sounded like 2 but was very rough. It had to be started with tons of ether. I have spark on all 4. I tried bump starting but it resulted in some coughing. I don't know where to go cause, according to the pictures kawisaki sent me I should be good. I set it to top dead center, put intake cam marking line level with the head, same with the z7ex mark on the exhuast cam.

Sorry if the format is shit or for any misspelling, I'm typing this up on my phone before class starts, I just wanted to get it out. I will proofread this post once I'm home and make it pretty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2018 18:36 - 05 Mar 2018 18:46 #779800 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Zn700 not running
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLooks like you really need one of these

www.amazon.com/R99924-1035-03-Kawasaki-M...KZ750P/dp/B01M183A63

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 18:46 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
05 Mar 2018 19:19 - 06 Mar 2018 05:24 #779803 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Zn700 not running
The cam setting process is the same for all the 750's and 700's. Did you download the manual linked in your last thread?

1) put the engine on 1-4 TDC. That means align the 1-4 T mark with the indicator on the crank.

2) pull up on the cam chain and drape it over the exhaust cam. The hash mark should point down a little at this point because when the cam is tightened down the mark will come up.

3) count the chain links and install the intake came as appropriate

4) after cams are tightened back down in the cam caps double check everything carefully.

Before installing he cams it's important to remove the cam chain tensioner cross wedge and spring. After you put the intake cam in place and get all the cam caps installed and snugged down put the wedge and spring back in. Then rotate the engine over a couple of times to make sure you have free spinning. Lastly, align 1-4 T again and double check your cam timing. If everything is right then remove the wedge and spring again, install the valve cover, and lastly, install the wedge and spring one last time.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 05:24 by Nessism.

More
06 Mar 2018 08:38 #779829 by lemonyguy
Replied by lemonyguy on topic Zn700 not running
That's what I did, I'm going to pull my cover and check my work but that's exactly what Kawasaki and the manuals from last thread said. I'll probably clean carbs too just so I know my fueling is tip top.

More
06 Mar 2018 09:05 - 07 Mar 2018 06:17 #779830 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Zn700 not running
Load test the battery. The motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to run.
Even if new, charge it with a good smart charger & load test it.
Old Ignition coils can test fine cold but can still need replacing.
For new coils you can probably use either the green 3.0 ohm or gray 2.2 ohm Dyna coils.
Redo the park plug wire connections or get new. probably 7mm copper core.
Install new/correct park plugs & properly gapped.
Check the timing rotor to make sure it isn't damaged or anything.
Test the pulsing coils & igniter.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 06:17 by JMKZHI.

More
12 Mar 2018 09:15 #780111 by lemonyguy
Replied by lemonyguy on topic Zn700 not running
Sorry for the delay, I had to handle midterms first but yesterday I got down and dirty on my beauty. So the cam timing is fine, the T mark is lined up and both the cams are lined up with the 45-46 pins between them. Just for shits and giggles I pulled a spark plug and used a straw to see if I was truly at TDC but its not. There is another mark about 40 degrees before the T mark and that is true top dead. I don't know if it has something to do with the ZN700 not having a mechanical advance like all the other bikes related do.

I checked spark while I had a plug out and its blue but its kinda thin, like I said it ran fine before winter, coils were in a dry place with plugs wires in. Carbs are clean.