Measure Valve Clearance

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Feb 2018 13:15 #779489 by gordone
Measure Valve Clearance was created by gordone
I`m not 100% sure of my clearance when it comes to measure the valve clearness. First I try to find the smallest feeling gauge who will not goes in... (to tight ).
And then try to find a felling gauge who goes in and out with some resistant, but not much, and then shall I be around what valve clearness I have?

Another thing is, the air gap / valve clearness is not even on the whole surface... shall I use worse case / smallest air gap?

Thank you.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2018 13:49 #779493 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Measure Valve Clearance

gordone wrote: And then try to find a felling gauge who goes in and out with some resistant, but not much, and then shall I be around what valve clearness I have?

Another thing is, the air gap / valve clearness is not even on the whole surface... shall I use worse case / smallest air gap?

Thank you.

When the feeler gauge goes in with a slight drag that's the proper clearance.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "air gap / valve clearance is not even on whole surface." Explain further. The clearance between the shim and the cam should be even all across the surface of the shim unless the shim is not seating in the bucket for some reason.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
27 Feb 2018 13:50 #779494 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Measure Valve Clearance
I would set the valve clearances to the max: 0,20 mm, better than to tight.
The valves get a little set down into the fresh made valve seat rings after the first 500 kilometers.
I check the valve clearance again and if needed change some shims to the factory specs.

Attachments:

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Feb 2018 13:57 #779495 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Measure Valve Clearance

Nessism wrote:

gordone wrote: And then try to find a felling gauge who goes in and out with some resistant, but not much, and then shall I be around what valve clearness I have?

Thank you.

When the feeler gauge goes in with a slight drag that's the proper clearance.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "air gap / valve clearance is not even on whole surface." Explain further. The clearance between the shim and the cam should be even all across the surface of the shim unless the shim is not seating in the bucket for some reason.

The valve clearance is not the same under the cam for the whole surface. Typical more clearness in the uppersite side. Surface as on top of the bucket and surface of the cam.

Project:

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Feb 2018 14:00 #779496 by gordone

Scirocco wrote: I would set the valve clearances to the max: 0,20 mm, better than to tight.
The valves get a little set down into the fresh made valve seat rings after the first 500 kilometers.
I check the valve clearance again and if needed change some shims to the factory specs.

Max clearnesd is 0.18 as I understand, so my plan was to try to hit 0.15 for all valves? How much tigher will the valve be approx. After 500km?

I have now purchase shims kit, I found it slow and expensive purchase single shims from time to time..,

Project:

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
27 Feb 2018 14:10 - 27 Feb 2018 14:12 #779497 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Measure Valve Clearance
Trust me, the valve clearance will get 2-3/100 mm tighter after 500 km.

Have you check your bucket surface are even over the diameter and have no wear in the middle???

gordone wrote

The valve clearance is not the same under the cam for the whole surface. Typical more clearness in the uppersite side. Surface as on top of the bucket and surface of the cam.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 14:12 by Scirocco.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Feb 2018 22:23 #779529 by gordone

Scirocco wrote: Trust me, the valve clearance will get 2-3/100 mm tighter after 500 km.

Have you check your bucket surface are even over the diameter and have no wear in the middle???

gordone wrote

No, but I haven`t so large markers as you have on your picture, but that is possible worse case ? :)
If I turn the bucket. the point change...
Normally the point is on the end of the cam and not on center if you are looking at the cab surface.
I will see if I can find new buckets for a ok price.

Project: