Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

cam chain roller 14 Mar 2023 16:34 #881519

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2102
Restoration is a very misused word and interpreted in many ways, to some a good clean and mechanical overhaul is " restoration" and to be fair to your retired engineer he was probably using the term in "good faith" to describe the work he had done.(as you have said, it ran and everything worked) I'm not sure which bike you have or what you paid but I guess the guy was basing his price on other  "restored" examples. Unfortunately when you buy remotely it is easy to get caught up in " the thrill of the chase" and view your purchase with rose tinted spectacles. Once it is complete the frustrations will subside
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cam chain roller 14 Mar 2023 21:37 #881529

• Gray17
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Guys,
Steve looks a nice machine, sure it wont take much to get back on the road, and you probably know exactly whats needed to do so.
Wookie58 , its a Z900 A4, however in its past had a number of incorrect parts fitted from a Z1B and LTD models. Wasnt aware of this when i bought it, nor the expensive cost of replacement parts to rectify, this is what i meant by doing more research and knowing what parts belong to what model.
you are spot on! at the time i thought it was a bargain (should have known theres no such thing), blinkers come on and rose tinted specs hence purchase.
Guess we all have different opinions and standards as to what we consider restored, as you say he probably got it as a none runner import, and it ran ok, and has had  several new parts fitted.
Dont misunderstand im not having a go at the seller, who i do believe sold it in good faith, I blame myself for not taking more care and research and suppose having higher acceptable standards. My other posts indicate the work being done on the engine, Frame, full respray etc
(which needed new tank as it was an LTD again didnt know they were different)
The sort of things im finding, its had a replacement seat which has a slight step in it rather then the standard, hadnt realised its a Z1 seat rather then A4, apart from cover pattern is different but it only has the single plunger 8mm hole for seat catch, I incorrectly thought i could just use  a Z1 seat lock, but that doesnt fit the frame without modification (which I've just had powder coated) so dont want to damage finish, same with seat base.
im now thinking i will have to drill seat base and fit U bracket assembly and use correct A4 seat lock. But the seat base doesnt have the captive nuts in place and if i mig them it will damage the freshly coated seat base. I could use thread inserts or just lock nuts before fitting cover but if i ever need catch removing id have to fully strip seat again. Nor do i know the exact position of the holes as nothing to go by, will have to trial fit seat base to frame then mark and modify as needed. Its a real dilemna! And why its taking so long, its not just a case of replacing a few parts, its knowing what parts will actually fit with other parts when they wernt correct to start with!
Hopefully i'll eventually get there and have it how i want it, but its def testing my abilities to the limit!!!
1st photo as it was when i bought it, 2nd photo engine vapour blasted on with rebuild.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by Gray17. Reason: Add comment

cam chain roller 15 Mar 2023 00:05 #881531

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2102
People on this forum will be able to tell you what will and won't fit before you spend the money for parts