Pushrod issues

• mitchelljnbaptiste
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2018 18:04 #778443 by mitchelljnbaptiste
Pushrod issues was created by mitchelljnbaptiste
Hello guys, I am having an issue with my 1998 KZ1000P. I changed the shift shaft seal and remounted the side case cover, but when I squeezed the clutch lever the mechanism with the three three ball bearings which pushes the rod would slip out of place and make a loud slapping sound. I would then have to reset the clutch cable and mechanism again. I did this several times till I decided to adjust the clutch cable. I followed the steps which were shown on a few videos on YouTube, clutch lever felt better but now even though I release the pushrod adjustment all the way, the clutch stays fully engaged. I can start the bike in 1st gear with no clutch and it would not stall. Behaves like its in neutral. I should mention that prior to this the clutch lever was very tight, unbearably so. Also, is the pushrod supposed to be loose enough to just fall out of place? And now oil is pouring out of the hole the pushrod fits. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Feb 2018 19:14 #778447 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Pushrod issues
Did you replace all the seals? Pic? The clutch adjustment on the EZ Pull can be touchy. Loosen all the cable adjusters then adjust the screw in the sprocket cover till snug then back off 1/4 turn. Take the slack out with the center adjuster then the clutch perch leaving 1/8-1/4" free play.
Steve

• mitchelljnbaptiste
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Feb 2018 01:26 #778451 by mitchelljnbaptiste
Replied by mitchelljnbaptiste on topic Pushrod issues
Hello Steve, I did exactly what you said but the only way I got the clutch to disengage is to remove the side cover completely and then start the bike. If it helps the adjustment screw in the side cover is very tight. And I only changed the shift shaft seal. Is the pushrod supposed to fall out of place when the bike is on the side stand?

More
10 Feb 2018 03:28 #778454 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Pushrod issues
If the pushrod fell out, perhaps the small ball bearing also fell out and wasn't reinstalled before the pushrod was replaced.

When the ball bearing is missing, would expect the clutch to stay engaged even when the clutch lever is being squeezed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Feb 2018 06:10 - 10 Feb 2018 11:59 #778457 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Pushrod issues
now oil is pouring out of the hole the pushrod fits.

Is the oil pouring out only when the pushrod is removed? there is a seal that should prevent any leaks when the pushrod is installed.

Clutch cable. there should be a small cotter pin that should keep the cable end seated in the clutch release mechanism.

Clutch release adjustment. When doing the clutch adjustment, you probably need to turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 turn. then tighten the locknut.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 11:59 by martin_csr.