Severe oil leak, Help appreciated.

More
28 Jan 2018 05:31 #777921 by McZed
Severe oil leak, Help appreciated. was created by McZed
I have a 1981 Kawasaki KZ1000 J1. I’m fairly sure it doesn’t come as standard with an oil cooler, so a previous owner must have fitted it. It had two big hoses connecting it to the engine. One went to the oil pressure switch, and the other went into the top of the crankcase on the right hand side. I live in Scotland so I didn’t see much point in having it and besides it was a big ugly looking thing. I bought the original plugs to blank it off and removed it. Now here is my problem!!!
When I went to start the bike, oil started pi$$ing out from underneath it. It’s not coming from any of the two parts I blanked off. HELP! What have I done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2018 13:54 #777928 by McZed
Replied by McZed on topic Severe oil leak, Help appreciated.
Sussed it out myself. I am posting this just in case anyone else has the same problem. Whoever fitted the oil cooler blocked off the oil return in the oil pressure switch housing, presumably to make the oil circulate round the oil cooler better. they had plugged the return gallery using a 10mm bolt with a bit of rubber hose pushed on it, and simply shoved it in and bolted the housing back on. Nice!!!
The pressure from the oil pump was strong enough to displace the rubber O ring on the oil filter housing below the sump, so the oil pi$$ed out everywhere. Oh the joys of owning an old Kwak. I still love the bike though.

More
28 Jan 2018 14:28 #777930 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic Severe oil leak, Help appreciated.

McZed wrote: Sussed it out myself. I am posting this just in case anyone else has the same problem. Whoever fitted the oil cooler blocked off the oil return in the oil pressure switch housing, presumably to make the oil circulate round the oil cooler better. they had plugged the return gallery using a 10mm bolt with a bit of rubber hose pushed on it, and simply shoved it in and bolted the housing back on. Nice!!!
The pressure from the oil pump was strong enough to displace the rubber O ring on the oil filter housing below the sump, so the oil pi$$ed out everywhere. Oh the joys of owning an old Kwak. I still love the bike though.

Im really glad to hear it. I saw your post and felt helpless that I couldnt answer. However I knew it had to be a simple issue to solve, and am glad you figured it out.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
29 Jan 2018 06:15 #777948 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Severe oil leak, Help appreciated.
..... they had plugged the return gallery using a 10mm bolt with a bit of rubber hose pushed on it, and simply shoved it in and bolted the housing back on. Nice!!! .....

Did you take a pic? File that one in the KZ repair fail section. :laugh: