Clutch lever return (out) .....what causes this?

More
18 Jan 2018 15:13 #777405 by RLBuddi
It's not solely the spring at end of cable, I realize that. I had a couple beers and now a major brain fart. Serious question though, Is the pushrod forced back out by the clutch itself? Please advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
18 Jan 2018 16:15 - 18 Jan 2018 16:20 #777406 by Scirocco
Is the push rod forced back out by the clutch itself? YES!
The spring on the clutch cable is for reducing the slack and hooked it up
in the clutch hub lever mechanism so it donĀ“t get loose if you lost the cotter pin.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2018 16:20 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi

More
17 Apr 2018 20:01 #781981 by RLBuddi
My specific problem is, when the clutch is engaged then released, the clutch hand lever doesn't return. So after looking down where the clutch cable connects @ the left side of engine a lil closer. I noticed that the release lever, like a screw being turned left, when rotated to simulate its normal travel the entire release lever mechanism is moving out and away from the cases (the est. 160 degrees it travels) ...it it looks like as if it were a screw turning left and outward.

More
18 Apr 2018 05:14 - 18 Apr 2018 05:16 #781988 by TexasKZ
You haven't mentioned a year and model, so I am mostly guessing here. If your mechanism is similar to the one pictured above, then what you describe is correct. When you squeeze the lever to disengage the clutch, the cable pulls on the release mechanism, which causes the center section to raise out away from the case, and push the rod, which disengages the clutch.
When you release the lever, the springs on the clutch plate push the rod back to its normal position, causing the release mechanism to rotate back to its compressed state, making the lever return to its normal riding position, and the clutch is engaged.

If your bike has a different system, then something else may be going on. When you squeeze the lever toward the hand grip, does the clutch actually disengage ? If not, then it could be something as simple as poor adjustment. Have you followed the factory adjustment procedure to the letter?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 05:16 by TexasKZ.

More
18 Apr 2018 15:52 #782020 by RLBuddi
It's an '82 KZ1100 Spectre D1

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
18 Apr 2018 17:27 - 18 Apr 2018 17:28 #782022 by Scirocco
It looks like your clutch cable and mechanism need a good cleaning an some new lubrication.
The clutch mechanism parts can get stiff over the years by dirt and old dry grease.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 17:28 by Scirocco.