Dynamo cover gromment leaking

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
17 Dec 2017 10:47 #776207 by Z1Driver
Dynamo cover gromment leaking was created by Z1Driver
The left side cover which covers the Dynamo on my 900 is leaking. The grommet the wires go through is known to leak at some point. The fix is a new grommet, cut and re-solder the wires back together after running them through the new grommet. Not my idea of a good time...simple enough but I really don't want to cut wires. So I was thinking of taking the dynamo cover off and hosing everything as in grommet and wires with brake clean. Then slather the entire grommet/inside wires with Honda Bond and put back together. Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the grommet? If you have not used Honda Bond before it is pretty runny compared to RTV. I know some of you Z1/KZ owners have dealt with this problem. Thanks, my left boot is well oiled. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Dec 2017 21:50 #776275 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Dynamo cover gromment leaking
I tried everything finally replacing the grommet. I also used crazy glue on the woven sleeves over the wires to keep them from wicking.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Z1Driver

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Dec 2017 22:43 #776283 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Dynamo cover gromment leaking
Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Dec 2017 07:29 #776297 by SWest

More
18 Dec 2017 10:56 #776306 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Dynamo cover gromment leaking

Z1Driver wrote: The left side cover which covers the Dynamo on my 900 is leaking. The grommet the wires go through is known to leak at some point. The fix is a new grommet, cut and re-solder the wires back together after running them through the new grommet. Not my idea of a good time...simple enough but I really don't want to cut wires. So I was thinking of taking the dynamo cover off and hosing everything as in grommet and wires with brake clean. Then slather the entire grommet/inside wires with Honda Bond and put back together. Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the grommet? If you have not used Honda Bond before it is pretty runny compared to RTV. I know some of you Z1/KZ owners have dealt with this problem. Thanks, my left boot is well oiled. Tim

You can do it that way but the wires are covered with cloth. I had to clean with brakeclean and dry multiple times then soaked the area with form-a-gasket and let it soak into the wires. I also used silicone between the grommet and housing surface.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Attachments:

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
18 Dec 2017 13:06 - 18 Dec 2017 13:10 #776308 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Dynamo cover gromment leaking
I cleaned the wires with dish soap and water pulling them back and forth getting "ALL" the oil off of the wires and grommet and let everything dry real good, maybe a day? then I worked (Ultra black RTV high temp sealant) into the wires and inside the grommet and let that sit for a day before reinstalling.

50,000 + miles and still holding.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 13:10 by bluej58.

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 13:30 #776351 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Dynamo cover gromment leaking
I was told on another forum the grommet has slits in it for the wires. If so that would be great. But since out of the 3 Z1's I've owned I have never had to mess with it before. So I don't know.

I bought a impact driver with a #3 Philips. Was thinking about hitting the tip on a grinder. I have S/S replacement screws on hand. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14