KZ750 advance timing

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
27 Nov 2017 15:10 #775181 by JohnLuke
KZ750 advance timing was created by JohnLuke
I just bought a KZ750 advance timing rotor. And I just realized that it is for a KZ750B which is a two cyclinder not a four.
My bike is a 1982 KZ750N Spectre.

My question is can I somehow use the rotor anyways?

Or do I need a new one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2017 15:28 - 27 Nov 2017 15:30 #775182 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ750 advance timing
I would get the correct timing advancer. I'd be surprised if the advance curve on a Twin would work.
Good new is that most 750-4s use the same part. bad news is that they can be hard to find or pricy.

From partzilla for the 82 750 Spectre. 21148-1013. It will have 1013 stamped into it to the left of the T mark.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 15:30 by martin_csr.

More
27 Nov 2017 19:52 #775208 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ750 advance timing

JohnLuke wrote: I just bought a KZ750 advance timing rotor. And I just realized that it is for a KZ750B which is a two cyclinder not a four.
My bike is a 1982 KZ750N Spectre.

My question is can I somehow use the rotor anyways?

Or do I need a new one?

The motors spin in opposite directions. Isn't the Kz750B points? Your 82 Spectre should have electronic ignition. If that's the case, you can't use the rotor anyway.

But if the rotor was for an electronic ignition, and it physically mounts to the advancer unit, you should be able to flip the iron pointer so it will work in the correct direction. You have to press it off carefully using an arbor press. Then flip it over and press it back on. The timing will be off, so you will have to make sure to press it back on in the correct position. To do that, make sure the #1 cylinder is just before TDC and make sure the timing pointer is lined up with the "F" mark on the advancer. The point of the rotor slug should be just barely past the center of the pickup in the direction of travel. (The motor spins the same direction as the wheels on an inline-four.)

Photos would help, I guess. Scroll down this page to see the approximate orientation of the advancer rotor pointer.

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/PickupA.../PickupAndRotor.html