Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 17 Nov 2017 04:39 #774699

• RLBuddi
  • RLBuddi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
When installing shift forks, is the drum supposed to be turned a certain way in order to receive the nipples of the shift forks? The 4th/5th gear fork was pretty straight forward, but seems like there are a few different ways they could've connected to the drum, Please advise. Thanks a million

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 17 Nov 2017 14:23 #774708

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
I don't think it matters where the drum is, but putting it in neutral is easiest. Just be sure to put the fork onto the shaft in the right direction. Your manual should have photos.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 01:19 #774726

• RLBuddi
  • User
Lol...my manual? No manual here. The forks can't be facing the wrong way, the nipple would be 180 degrees off, and no contact to the drum

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 04:36 #774727

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
No manual = recipe for disaster
Good luck to you.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 05:39 #774729

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Pics would help.
Steve

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 05:51 #774731

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

RLBuddi wrote: Lol...my manual? No manual here. The forks can't be facing the wrong way, the nipple would be 180 degrees off, and no contact to the drum

On the home page of KZR is a link to a PDF copy of the KZ1000 1981-85 maual you can download for free. The trans is the same.
I feel like I am repeating myself.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, SWest

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 15:09 #774766

• RLBuddi
  • User
No sir, you are not repeating yourself. Sorry if it feels that way. I did take your advise about a month ago, I downloaded the PDF file you spoke of then (same file). Thank you very much, as I find it to be a very handy and information packed PDF. However, was unsure since it didn't list the 1100 D1. There is almost too much info in that file. Makes it a little confusing is all, ..of course in my situation, model specific is very much desired. The same transmission was put into many many different Kawasaki's, BUT of all the gear shift mechanisms shown in that PDF, ...mine is different. The parts diagram refers to parts: 13236 13168 92081 .....these are what I'm mostly confused about. Just can't find out exactly how they are supposed to be installed. The rest of the re-assembly is pretty straight forward and understood, so no worries ;)

I'll try to keep this short. See, my good friend who knows these bikes very well and who had raced for Kawasaki, ..well, he was helping me with this shift fork problem. He disassembled my bike to replace the shift forks, and due to his employment and schedule, wasn't able to finish it in one night. Unfortunately, before he could finish the repair he had passed away. So, now I'm looking at something that I didn't take apart, and I don't know anything as to how to re-assemble it. I always take lots of pics and jot down notes while disassembling this kind of stuff. Financially struck and can barely afford toilet paper, ...I simply can't just run out and buy a manual. Don't feel bad or sorry for me though, I got 5 boys and 1 girl that I pay child support on. Health has been failing = can't work ...no work = no money. Awaiting for SSI case to be approved. Just this problem found me on hard times.

To make matters worse, it's gonna snow any day now, and my bike is not together, nor garaged.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 15:12 #774767

• RLBuddi
  • User
I also need to replace this push rod (circled)

Anyone wanna sell me a good used one? Please let me know. Thanks
Attachments:

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 15:24 #774770

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
How do you know the push rod is bent?
How much was the rod bent and how was the rod bent ? Maybe he could be straighten. Take a picture from the clutch push rod.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 15:32 #774771

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
The parts you mention are part of the shift detent system and/or neutral detent. I can't find info on the KZ 1100 shaft bikes in that area but typically those parts can only fit one way. Sorry, can't help you more.

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 18 Nov 2017 22:30 #774789

• RLBuddi
  • User
Nessism, you rock bro. Any/all help provided has always been and always will be very much appreciated. You have helped me more than ya think, by you pointing that PDF file out for me, I was finally able to fix a few other nagging problems. Thanks again. This forum, while not as busy as the car forums I've been a part of, has been an awesome experience thus far. Thanks to the paint section here and a little youtube, I was able to learn how to make a rattle can paint job look like glass, ,,,you can part ur hair in the reflection lol

The parts that I'd mentioned, I know what pins they each go on, how they're situated on pins, what their purposes are and all, I don't know where the tension springs fix to

82 1100 Spectre ...shift fork/drum relationship? 20 Nov 2017 01:33 #774810

• RLBuddi
  • User
Well, I can't believe this, but I seemed to have lost the collar (part number 92027-1331) for the shift detent system/neutral detent. It seems they used this particular sleeve or collar for a few different things.

• Page: