Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike Will Not Start 16 Nov 2017 06:53 #774686

• salmeida
  • salmeida's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I will try to bump start it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike Will Not Start 16 Nov 2017 08:49 #774689

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
By salmeida: Also it is a brand new battery where I poured the sulfuric acid in myself and did all that was required. I did the jump to the starter motor and it spun with a lot of power and perfectly fine.

So, you added the correct electrolyte (battery acid) from a sealed container & let the battery sit for x number of hours, then added more electrolyte if necessary. Then charged the battery with a good motorcycle trickle charger? .... make sure the battery is vented.

Never assume a battery is good, even if it's brand new. test it with a digital multimeter to get an exact reading & do a load test.
After charging with a good smart charger, it should be at least 12.6 VDC, but usually a good battery will be higher.

High beam load test. After charging, a test I do is to turn on the headlight high beam (ignition switch ON, engine OFF); the voltage should drop to around 12.2 VDC. If it drops below that, the battery may need replacing. If it drops below 11 VC, the battery is probably shot. Scorpion AGM. Ctek US 0.8 smart charger. VC97 digital multimeter.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 11:34 #774749

• salmeida
  • User
So I attempted the bump start today and nothing. After the many attempts I tried doing an electric start again and it sounded different than before so something had to have happened. Also for the sake of it I kickstarted it too after the attempt at the bump and I got compression and the bike lurched forward but after a couple of kicks it went back to no compression. And the battery reads 12.73 volts after it was fully charged.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 12:18 #774750

• salmeida
  • User
I also just noticed it only goes into neutral and 1st gear can not switch to other gears.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 12:41 #774752

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
Sounds like an broken starter motor, the brushes for the commutator could be worn out.
The commutator it self could be short and must be cleaned.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: salmeida

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 12:55 #774754

• salmeida
  • User
I tested it with a car battery and it worked prior to today. So could it be when there is any resistance it just does not turn, or could I have somehow broken it today.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 13:11 #774755

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

salmeida wrote: So I recently finished reassembling my KZ650 E 1980 Kawasaki. The engine was redone, new battery, new starter relay, new spark plugs, and new fuses. So i reassembled the bike and when I went to click the starter button there was a harsh noise coming from the starter motor. I took the motor out and checked if it worked, and it did and was very strong. I took a video of what is happening when I do press the start button and I do not know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

The link to the video is:

The engine was redone? By who? The cam timing comes to mind at this point. The kick starter doesn't work?, Won't shift gears? It definitely sounds to me as if whomever redid your engine, screwed up several things.. Transmission., possible shift drum, . perhaps starter clutch. Something is definitely out of whack in several places. That motor should turn over smoothly with the plugs removed, and exhibit signs of compression with them installed.
Good luck with your bike!
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 13:36 #774758

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
Remove, disassemble, clean and grease the starter motor, It is no rocket science to rebuilt a starter motor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: salmeida

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 13:57 #774759

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Sounds like the starter clutch is slipping to me doesn't it guys?
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Bike Will Not Start 18 Nov 2017 14:33 #774763

• salmeida
  • User
Im going to redo the starter motor and I will let you know how it goes. Do you know where I can get brushes to replace for cheap?

• Page: