KZ1000P sputters and spits when riding

More
12 Nov 2017 17:55 #774522 by KZP1000
I have a 2000 kzp1000 with 19k miles on it. The bike idles fine and revs ok in neutral but underway it coughs and sputters so bad i feel like its going to buck me off sometimes. In September i took the carbs off cleaned and rebuilt them. Put them back on and synced them and it still did it. I replaced the plugs and wires and it seemed ok. Took it for a test ride and melted the ignitor. I replaced the ignitor and put my old plugs and wires back on. The bike ran great. I put almost 600 miles on it since september. Took it out yesterday and the same old thing happened again. What would cause it to run great when i park it in the garage one day then run like crap the next? I did adjust the clutch prior to taking it for a ride yesterday. That wouldn't make a difference wouldn't it? I also hear the starter clutch catching when its sputtering. I rebuilt it last year so im not sure if it would be that. I also cleaned and oiled the pickup coil and checked the battery cables. I know some of you are going to suggest dyna ignition but i don't want to get into that. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2017 18:13 #774572 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ1000P sputters and spits when riding
Based on what you describe, I think I would look for a loose or corroded connector, broken wire or missing insulation in the primary ignition wiring.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.