84 550LTD shift fork fell out!

More
07 Nov 2017 12:34 #774314 by BMR321
84 550LTD shift fork fell out! was created by BMR321
While changing out the shift shaft seal ( trying saying that 5 times fast ) I made a mistake that im kicking myself for now, I pulled the shift rod out! When I pulled the rod out the 2nd shift fork fell off the shifter barrel and down inside the pan. So I went ahead and pulled the motor out and took the pan off to see if I could get it back on without splitting the cases. I can get the fork back on the barrel but it doesn't line up with the rod. I've tried shifting it to see if maybe the barrel needs to be in a certain position, but to no avail. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

84 KZ550 LTD shaft
Garland Texas
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2017 18:20 #774326 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic 84 550LTD shift fork fell out!
Your photo is of a very small area and of a very narrow view, so I can't be sure........ but it looks like you positioned the forks around the shift drum itself. The forks go between the gears on the input shaft. The pin on the shift fork rides in the groove on the drum. That should properly align the rod and shift fork.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BMR321

More
08 Nov 2017 15:41 #774350 by BMR321
Replied by BMR321 on topic 84 550LTD shift fork fell out!
Okay this helped me out a ton, but after what seemed like 2 hours of fiddling with it I still cant seem to get it to align. I get the fork when i *Think* it goes, but the shift shaft wont go all the way through. It seems to bind up. Is there a specific gear it needs to be in? And just to be sure, does the fork go in the 1,2, or 3 position? Thanks again

84 KZ550 LTD shaft
Garland Texas
Attachments:

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Nov 2017 16:57 #774352 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 84 550LTD shift fork fell out!
Try it with gears in neutral position.

More
08 Nov 2017 20:26 #774355 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic 84 550LTD shift fork fell out!
The forks ride in these areas.

The forks slide the gear sets back and forth engaging and disengaging with the other gears. So try to get the fork guide pin in its groove in the shift drum and then slide the gear side to side to try to allow the fork to slip into its groove on the gear set.
Easier said then done I’m sure.
Attachments:

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Nov 2017 22:02 #774357 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 84 550LTD shift fork fell out!
Maybe this will help you to position your shift drum/gear into the right (neutral?) position to
put the shift fork into the gear/shift drum slot.
When the shift fork fell of the shift shaft in a specific position, it can be insert in same position.

Michael
Attachments: