Clutch Pushrod screw broken?

More
16 Oct 2017 12:05 #773064 by D4rKz
Clutch Pushrod screw broken? was created by D4rKz
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and motorcycles. I bought my first motorcycle,1990 KZ1000p a couple of days ago. Last night on my way home from dinner I felt the clutch slip a little when I tried to give it more gas too fast. I came home and looked around the forum and felt that I probably had to adjust the clutch....
Well this is where my problem starts, I bottomed out the adjustment at the lever and midway and then opened the plate that covers the screw. I loosened the nut and turned the screw to the right and then when I tried to turn it left, it just turned a small amount about kind of just got stuck? Thought it was probably dirty inside and tried to clean it a bit then tried again. When I tried turning to the left I felt like I broke free but now I can't tighten it going to either direction... I feel like I might have just caused some big damage for being stupid and a beginner. Does anyone know where is the best place to start to try and pin point the problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2017 14:08 - 17 Oct 2017 06:45 #773066 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch Pushrod screw broken?
I would remove the engine sprocket cover & take a look. The diagrams at Partzilla & eebbaayy photos can be helpful to see what's what.

As for the clutch release adjusting screw, on some models it's clockwise first until hard to turn, but on others it's counterclockwise first. some manuals are ambiguous as to the direction. I don't know how it's done on the 1000-P models.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 06:45 by martin_csr.

More
16 Oct 2017 16:16 #773074 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch Pushrod screw broken?
Could be that the release mechanism is packed up with dirt, chain lube, zombie boogers and such. A good cleaning and readjustment may be all that is needed.
There is a link for a PDF copy of the KZ1000/1100 factory service manual on the home page of KZR. I am 99% sure that your cop bike has the same mechanism as all the civilian KZ1000s from 1982 forward. Be aware that the 1981 and earlier bikes use a different setup.
Also be very careful to follow the clutch cable adjustment instructions exactly. Doing the steps out of order can lead to massive frustration.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough