KZ650 4 into 1 without rejetting. Any Suggestions?

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2017 18:50 #772686 by JWKZ750
So you all may have seen I got a pristine 77 KZ650 over the weekend with original 2 into 2 exhaust. The damn thing is quiet as a mouse. What can i do to make it louder without rejetting? 4 into 1 exhaust? Remove the baffle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2017 19:03 #772688 by 650ed
In my opinion if the original 1977 K650 exhaust system is in good condition it would be a serious mistake to try to remove the baffle or otherwise modify the system. The 1977 KZ650 exhaust system was unique to that year; subtle changes were made in 1978. Consequently finding a 1977 system in good original condition is harder than finding hen's teeth. I know because I keep a lookout on eBay and elsewhere for one in case my exhaust system ever is hurt.

If you wish the bike to be louder (I cannot imagine why, but it's your bike) then I would suggest buying a 4 into 1 system and keeping the original system in a safe place. That way when you eventually decide to sell the bike you can offer the original system as an option, or you can sell it right away to fund the 4 into 1 system.

If you keep the stock air box on the bike you may find that rejetting for the new exhaust system change is not necessary. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2017 19:04 #772689 by JWKZ750

650ed wrote: In my opinion if the original 1977 K650 exhaust system is in good condition it would be a serious mistake to try to remove the baffle or otherwise modify the system. The 1977 KZ650 exhaust system was unique to that year; subtle changes were made in 1978. Consequently finding a 1977 system in good original condition is harder than finding hen's teeth. I know because I keep a lookout on eBay and elsewhere for one in case my exhaust system ever is hurt.

If you wish the bike to be louder (I cannot imagine why, but it's your bike) then I would suggest buying a 4 into 1 system and keeping the original system in a safe place. That way when you eventually decide to sell the bike you can offer the original system as an option, or you can sell it right away to fund the 4 into 1 system.

If you keep the stock air box on the bike you may find that rejetting for the new exhaust system change is not necessary. Ed

I have to say the original exhaust on my bike is gorgeous, esp with what I believe to be the VIN stamped on it. But its too quiet for the city. I like a louder bike. Maybe I will just leave it.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2017 19:06 #772690 by JWKZ750

650ed wrote: In my opinion if the original 1977 K650 exhaust system is in good condition it would be a serious mistake to try to remove the baffle or otherwise modify the system. The 1977 KZ650 exhaust system was unique to that year; subtle changes were made in 1978. Consequently finding a 1977 system in good original condition is harder than finding hen's teeth. I know because I keep a lookout on eBay and elsewhere for one in case my exhaust system ever is hurt.

can you suggest any 4 into 1 brands that you may have seen ppl put on their KZ650 without issue?

More
10 Oct 2017 20:12 #772696 by 650ed
If I was going to put a 4 into 1 pipe on my bike I would find a Kerker. Here's a video showing one on a KZ650 with stock air box. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Oct 2017 01:15 - 11 Oct 2017 11:38 #772700 by kevski
Delkevic, they do two styles, made of stainless steel well made, i have one on my Honda 350 four, and a good price as well, will put a video of mine running on here later and a video of the other style. my one is the top one with straight pipe.

Last edit: 11 Oct 2017 11:38 by kevski.

More
12 Oct 2017 07:16 #772771 by KZB2 650
Have always been a huge fan of Vance and Hines (and RC engineering) so I went with them but I'll admit a used Kerker in exc condition at a good price would be so tempting ....... I like the Delkevic too but still like the looks of the others slightly more. Z1 has commented and others that the quality of the V&H has gone down over the years and the price has gone up quite a bit too so I'm gonna have to put up with my less than perfect pipe for a while longer.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
12 Oct 2017 09:48 - 12 Oct 2017 09:49 #772782 by loudhvx
The only exhaust I've dealt with that didn't require a rejet was a street-baffle Kerker. There are several levels of Kerkers. You want the mildest (quietest and most restrictive) one. It will still run a bit lean,er but you might not have to rejet and still be able to ride it fine after it warms up. That was on a Kz550 which originally had dual exhaust. Even the mildest Kerker is louder than stock and it has a great sound to it.

The Mac system for 550's definitely needed a rejet.

Make sure to store the factory exhaust somewhere very dry, and label what it is (these things have a way of getting lost :) ).
I wonder if there is a product you can put on for preserving chrome in storage?
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 09:49 by loudhvx.