1976 KZ750 Twin Ignition Timing

More
10 Oct 2017 15:16 #772662 by 750Twinsie
1976 KZ750 Twin Ignition Timing was created by 750Twinsie
Hello all, first post here. I searched and could not find how to solve my problem. I have a 76' kz750 twin that I got with 8,000 miles on the clock from a friend's uncle, it had been sitting non-op for 17 years under a cover in his garage, fuel drained, I'd say properly stored. Took a day to clean out the carbs (could've done a better job, but in fear of stripping a jet, as I had already done very easily, I used little fuzzy pipe cleaners and was very careful to not scratch), and with a few other things (oil, brake flush, new rubber parts, battery, ), the bike then started up no prob! Been running it that way for about 2,000 miles and began to notice a few problems, one right now being that when I go to adjust the timing, nothing seems to happen... What I mean by this, is that when I loosen the screws and turn the rotor while watching with a timing light, I cannot get the timing mark to line up with the F at idle, or move at all for that matter... Then while messing with it, it moves into position over the F just out of nowhere! And now it reads that the advanced position is off a bit. I was able to gap the contact point to spec, and that made everything much better, but can't figure out the deal with the timing... Is something stuck from lack of lubrication? Although; the advancer is moving fine as the rpm's increase. As a note, I have not attempted to tune the carbs in any way, other than the idle adjustment air screw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.