• Page:

TOPIC:

Head Gasket questions 08 Oct 2017 20:54 #772570

• Smallzphoto
  • Smallzphoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
YO!
I have a slight weep of oil around my head gasket.
It only looks wet when the engine is running otherwise it's visually dry when cold.
I know i'll have to replace it but I have a couple questions.
Pardon my ignorance.

Does this mean its "blown"?
Is it safe to ride at all?
I'll probably be getting into the engine again this winter.... will I have to replace the gasket each time i open it up? Or are they reusable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 04:41 #772575

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Based on your description,

Not blown
Safe to ride
Not reusable

Sometimes a small weeping leak can be slowed or stopped by tightening the head nuts to the proper factory specified torque. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. This presumes that one or more of the nuts has loosened a bit or that somebody before you did not properly tighten them.
Otherwise, just ignore it since you will be replacing the gasket soon anyway.

Generally, when somebody says a head gasket is blown, they are referring to a catastrophic failure that is allowing combustion pressure to leak out of a cylinder into someplace it does not belong. If that was the case, you would have other symptoms besides a small weeping of oil.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smallzphoto

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 05:20 #772578

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
On my KZ900 it was the "O" ring in the center of the head that was leaking.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smallzphoto

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 08:57 #772586

• Smallzphoto
  • User
Ok cool!
So..... how do you access the head bolts?
Do I have to remove the valve cover?
If so, would I need to replace a gasket for the valve cover?
Thanks in advance! I'm learning more and more as I go!

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 09:32 #772587

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Based on your questions of "So..... how do you access the head bolts?
Do I have to remove the valve cover?
" I have a few suggestions .........

First; you really should add the year and exact model of your motorcycle to your signature line. Kawasaki made MANY different KZ models ranging from air-cooled single cylinder 200cc models all the way up to liquid -cooled six cylinder 1300cc models. As you can imagine there are VAST differences between the various models, so in order to give the best advice folks need to know which model you are working on.

Second; you really MUST have a Kawasaki Service Manual for your exact model. Trying to replace the cylinder head gasket without a manual is very big mistake! The manual contains information that is absolutely critical for the job to be done without creating huge problems that are very much worse than your minor oil leak. If you expect the motorcycle to run after you are finished - buy the manual. After buying the manual read and re-read it until you fully understand all the instructions.

Third; if you seriously plan on replacing the head gasket you will also need to replace the base gasket otherwise there's a very good chance it will leak after you are finished. This means you will need to pull the cylinders off the engine. If you haven't worked on a bike engine before you may find you are getting in over your head. You may want to simply change the motor oil using the CORRECT oil and see if the minor leak persists. Sometimes old oil will leak when new oil will not leak.

Fourth; you MUST have the appropriate tools to work on the bike. Even if you only plan to "tighten" the cylinder head bolts you can create huge problems if you do not have the appropriate tools (such as the correct torque wrench) and the knowledge on how to use them correctly. Fixing things you break can be much more difficult and expensive than dealing with a minor oil leak.

Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 10:04 #772589

• Smallzphoto
  • User
Hey Ed!
I have an 82 kz440 ltd.

I do have the factory manual and a Clymer manual but neither specify exactly which bolts are which in a specific diagram, they talk about the bolts, but they don't show me where they are or how to get to them..... Or Im just having a hard time finding that information. I figured maybe someone could just quickly tell me the things that would seem like common knowledge to anyone but a newb.

Currently Im not trying to replace my gasket, just tighten it as suggested before. When/if I do replace the gasket, I'll hopefully have more of an understanding of how to do it. For now I just need to find out which bolts are the right ones and how to get to them.

Yes I have a torque wrench and I know how to use it.

I apologize for my ignorance.
This bike and this experience are the first time ive ever had a chance to learn the basics. I havent had a chance to really wrap my head around all the parts yet. Im sure that knowledge will come with experience and I'll look back and laugh and wonder how I wouldnt have just known what a part was by looking at it but currently Im still learning.

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 11:38 #772593

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
There should be a diagram and sequencing of all that you need in the manuals you, just read carefully and torque to the right number and scale, there are a number of different scales so be sure to set the right one on the wrench, this must always be done cold, also when it comes to reassembly take care to follow instructions carefully and if you feel you are using a lot of force to put things back together you are probably doing it wrong.
if it seems like i am talking down to you, i am not, just trying to cover all bases to avoid foul ups.
P.S, i also typed this slowly for you, (English humor) LOL

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 12:12 #772595

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
With the valve cover removed I believe the 8 cylinder head nuts will be very easy to spot. The Kawasaki Service Manual shows the tightening sequence below. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Head Gasket questions 09 Oct 2017 12:56 #772597

• Smallzphoto
  • User
Ok Cool! Thanks for this!
It seems as if the previous owners of this bike phoned it in when it came to nuts and bolts so I wouldn't be surprised if they were loose. I just found 2 stripped exhaust studs a few mins ago too haha.
I appreciate all the help!!!!

• Page: