Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker

More
26 Sep 2017 18:16 - 26 Sep 2017 18:19 #771795 by hIPApotamus
Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker was created by hIPApotamus
Made some progress on my 81 KZ440 engine rebuild and and have a question about when and where to use thread locker. Looking under the right engine cover (clutch side), the service manual only specifies putting thread locker/loctite on the shifter stop (red arrows). The rest of the screws in there are also Philips heads, but don't have a torque call out or specify using Loctite. Is there any reason not to use a medium strength, high temp thread locker on the rest of the screws? If not, should they be oiled?

The manual has general torque ranges for each thread pitch- regardless of whether I use loctite or not I was going to try to hit the recommended torque for these M6 fasteners.

Thanks!

'81 KZ440A
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Sep 2017 18:19 by hIPApotamus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2017 19:32 #771855 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker
In my opinion never use thread locker. I hate that damn crap. Tighten a bolt correctly and it will never work loose.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hIPApotamus

More
26 Sep 2017 20:28 #771857 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker
First mistake - Your Kawasaki does not have ANY Philips head screws! Those cross head screws are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) and you will wreck the screw heads if you use regular Philips screwdrivers on them. See the links below for details.

Second - do NOT use thread locker on any fasteners unless the manual says you must. To do otherwise is a big mistake. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/606715-new-here#768867

www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/606715-new-here#768868

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hIPApotamus

More
27 Sep 2017 03:57 #771867 by hIPApotamus
Replied by hIPApotamus on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker
Thanks! I realized pretty quick that they're not Philips- but thanks for calling that out.

Is it common then to oil the screws before threading them in?

'81 KZ440A

More
27 Sep 2017 06:01 #771871 by 650ed
NO - you do NOT lubricate the fasteners.

If you have not done so I would urge you to buy and carefully read the Kawasaki Service Manual for your specific bike before proceeding any further. The folks who wrote the manual did so with a sound understanding of the bikes, so it is best to adhere to their instructions.

When installing fasteners you should use an appropriate torque wrench and follow the instructions for the correct torque level in the manual. Also, you should follow the other instructions in the manual such as the ones shown below:

Attachments:

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Sep 2017 06:04 - 27 Sep 2017 06:04 #771872 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker
You can use something like shown below. It's not hard to break loose if you need to and it will provide some extra retaining strength in case of vibration. Generally speaking though, following the instructions from the factory Kawasaki manual is a good guideline. No real need to overthink.

Oh, and no disrespect to Ed but I always use my standard phillips #2 & #3 bits on an impact driver when removing screws like the ones in question and I've never damaged one. I don't use the impact to reinstall the screws though. I use a proper JIS screwdriver and tighten them as tight as I can by hand.

Last edit: 27 Sep 2017 06:04 by Nessism.

More
27 Sep 2017 06:35 #771875 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker

RonKZ650 wrote: In my opinion never use thread locker. I hate that damn crap. Tighten a bolt correctly and it will never work loose.

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/607033-en...reply/771855?quote=1
Tell that to the hardly riders!

More
27 Sep 2017 06:46 #771877 by 650ed

Nessism wrote: Oh, and no disrespect to Ed but I always use my standard phillips #2 & #3 bits on an impact driver when removing screws like the ones in question and I've never damaged one. I don't use the impact to reinstall the screws though. I use a proper JIS screwdriver and tighten them as tight as I can by hand.

No offense taken. You might have Philips bits that are not made to exact Philips standards or possibly that have a bit of wear on the tip; I know such bits do exist. The problem with Philips bits is the point that extends from the tip. It prevents the bit from fully seating in the screw head and that prevents the flukes of the bit from fully contacting the screw slots. Below is a pic showing the dimensions of Phillips and JIS bits; it shows can see the tip on the Philips bit. If that tip is filed off the bit will fit ok. The second picture below shows a Philips bit that I modified by filing off that tip. It fits the JIS screws perfectly. Ed

Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2017 20:30 #771909 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Engine rebuild- where to use thread locker
I never found a JIS driver for the engine screws worth a crap. JIS for screws like used on the handlebar controls I do have. For sure use a #3 driver on engine srews, not a #2.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Sep 2017 03:28 #771914 by 650ed

RonKZ650 wrote: I never found a JIS driver for the engine screws worth a crap. JIS for screws like used on the handlebar controls I do have. For sure use a #3 driver on engine srews, not a #2.

Yes, the #2 bits are too small for engine cases; #3 is the right size. The genuine JIS bits I have are pretty good , but the one I made from a #3 Philips fits the screws even better than the genuine bits and is the one I use. I used an old sharpening stone to carefully grind it down to the correct shape. It fits well enough to stay in the screw if I let go of it as shown in the photo above. The genuine JIS bit won't do that. Ed