Camshaft identification

More
09 Sep 2017 20:27 #770660 by Markovich
Camshaft identification was created by Markovich
Making progress, doing things twice. Ugh! Anyway, I didn't remove the gears off the camshafts during disassembly but I am having trouble and may have lost identification somehow. What I need to know is how to id the intake cam. Is it the one with the fastener through the square hole? Also, I thought I saw a picture with the camshaft lobes facing away from each other when times to #1 TDC. Does that sound right? I searched but didn't find the right information. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can give me, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2017 06:18 - 10 Sep 2017 06:33 #770666 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Camshaft identification
Do you have the manual for the motorcycle? The camshaft section has identification info. The 81-83 KZ1000/1100 manual says to install the inlet camshaft sprocket using the 2 holes with the square recesses & for the exhaust sprocket use the 2 holes with the circle recesses (pg 6-19). The pdf manual is available on the KZR home page & I'm pretty sure you would use that pdf as the base manual for a 1000P.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2017 06:33 by martin_csr.

More
10 Sep 2017 07:26 - 10 Sep 2017 07:43 #770673 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Camshaft identification

Markovich wrote: Making progress, doing things twice. Ugh! Anyway, I didn't remove the gears off the camshafts during disassembly but I am having trouble and may have lost identification somehow. What I need to know is how to id the intake cam. Is it the one with the fastener through the square hole? Also, I thought I saw a picture with the camshaft lobes facing away from each other when times to #1 TDC. Does that sound right? I searched but didn't find the right information. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can give me, Keith

I may be wrong here (it could happen!) .. both cams appear identical to me doing a naked eye inspection, and only the sprockets are different. They are marked "in" and "ex" depending upon which set of sprocket bolt holes used for which location.. The cam sprocket flanges are off center. The two rings by the bolts are the identification rings for the grind. I hope these pics taken on my kitchen counter are clear enough to understand what I am trying to say. I did keep the sprocket / cam together when I disassembled the top end. As pictured the intake is on the left and exhaust is on the right. As martin said.. you NEED the service manual.. and >I< needed to review this info myself, since I am getting ready to re-install my top end. Starting on page 6-17 the manual goes down whole installation and identification list.

attachment=109696]IMG_20170910_092132561.jpg[/attachment]

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Sep 2017 07:43 by old_kaw.

More
10 Sep 2017 19:24 #770706 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Camshaft identification
Thanks for the info. Yes I do have the service manual but sometimes it doesn't seem to give the information I am looking for. It does say to torque the cam holders to 12 ft/lbs. That's too much! I now have to helicoil one of the holes. Did read that 7 to 9 is better. I did find the intake cam has the flange bolt thru the square opening. I had a tough time getting the cams lined up so after the first go round I stopped torquing them. Just tightened them to snug for the 2 turn rotation test. Still, when I started to tighten to 12 ft/lbs on the first bolt I messed it up. Oh, well this assembly has been a bear this time around. Anyway, I know where to go when I get in trouble. KZR. Later, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
11 Sep 2017 03:02 - 11 Sep 2017 03:05 #770715 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Camshaft identification
Cam caps being M6 into aluminium should be "around" 7ft/lb (84 in/lb) sounds about right

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
Last edit: 11 Sep 2017 03:05 by Bozo.

More
17 Sep 2017 21:37 #771137 by Markovich
Agreed, don't know why the manual is so heavy handed. I was hoping to avoid having to helicoil like many others here but got caught out. All done now but a while ago I deleted the smog stuff and plated the valve cover. Bolts that came with the kit had lock washers on them. This made them too short so let's helicoil one of those too. That's done now and I'm buttoned up and in the frame.

Attachments:

More
17 Sep 2017 21:39 #771138 by Markovich
Why am I posting two pictures?