Do these plugs look LEAN to you?

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 09:33 #769451 by JWKZ750
Do these plugs look LEAN to you? was created by JWKZ750
From a twin, two of the left hand side and two of the right hand side.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2017 09:44 - 22 Aug 2017 09:45 #769454 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?
They don't look lean to me. Realize though, looking at plug color doesn't mean that the mixture is good throughout the engines operating range. The engine could be lean on the bottom and rich on top, or visa versa, but if the engine isn't run in those ranges much it won't show up on the plugs. For this reason the best way to judge mixture strength is by doing plug chops or tuning on a dyno where the exhaust gas is checked while under load. If you can maintain that same color throughout all the different operating ranges of the bike THEN you are all set.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 09:45 by Nessism.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 09:48 - 22 Aug 2017 09:52 #769455 by JWKZ750
Replied by JWKZ750 on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?

Nessism wrote: They don't look lean to me. Realize though, looking at plug color doesn't mean that the mixture is good throughout the engines operating range. The engine could be lean on the bottom and rich on top, or visa versa, but if the engine isn't run in those ranges much it won't show up on the plugs. For this reason the best way to judge mixture strength is by doing plug chops or tuning on a dyno where the exhaust gas is checked while under load. If you can maintain that same color throughout all the different operating ranges of the bike THEN you are all set.

I confess, though i have a Kawasaki Twin, these plugs are from my 77 XS650 pictured below. The OP put HOOKER exhausts on (from the 70s - they sound great) and dabbled with the jets. My issue is light popping on deceleration AND sometimes when im riding.
Its a great bike, just want to make sure i dont burn up a piston. See pics below

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 09:52 by JWKZ750.

More
22 Aug 2017 10:50 #769458 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?
Light tan (digestive biscuit colour) is what you want, so those plugs don't look far off, but as mentioned you need to kill the engine at higher speeds to see if you are weak on the mains.
If you took those plugs out after coming to a normal stop it only indicates that the low end fueling is pretty close to where it needs to be.
If you were very weak higher up though, enough to do damage, there would be visible evidence of blistering on the electrodes which wouldn't be masked by the tan of a normal low end stop.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 11:38 - 22 Aug 2017 11:38 #769465 by JWKZ750

zed1015 wrote: Light tan (digestive biscuit colour) is what you want, so those plugs don't look far off, but as mentioned you need to kill the engine at higher speeds to see if you are weak on the mains.
If you took those plugs out after coming to a normal stop it only indicates that the low end fueling is pretty close to where it needs to be.
If you were very weak higher up though, enough to do damage, there would be visible evidence of blistering on the electrodes which wouldn't be masked by the tan of a normal low end stop.

Thats very helpful. Cheers.

I took those plugs out this morning after the bike sat all night. Just to keep on top of the engine temperature, I bought one of these Thermo-Dipsticks. It arrives tomorrow.

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 11:38 by JWKZ750.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Aug 2017 14:17 #769477 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?

JWKZ750 wrote:

Nessism wrote: They don't look lean to me. Realize though, looking at plug color doesn't mean that the mixture is good throughout the engines operating range. The engine could be lean on the bottom and rich on top, or visa versa, but if the engine isn't run in those ranges much it won't show up on the plugs. For this reason the best way to judge mixture strength is by doing plug chops or tuning on a dyno where the exhaust gas is checked while under load. If you can maintain that same color throughout all the different operating ranges of the bike THEN you are all set.

I confess, though i have a Kawasaki Twin, these plugs are from my 77 XS650 pictured below. The OP put HOOKER exhausts on (from the 70s - they sound great) and dabbled with the jets. My issue is light popping on deceleration AND sometimes when im riding.
Its a great bike, just want to make sure i dont burn up a piston. See pics below

NICE YAMAHA! I buy those bikes too! I have a 76' project sitting. Cooler than a 750 twin Kaw (Sorry 750 twin owners)

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Scirocco
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
22 Aug 2017 14:33 #769479 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?
Decide for yourself, for me the plugs color looks near perfect

Attachments:

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 17:15 #769498 by JWKZ750

z1kzonly wrote:

JWKZ750 wrote:

NICE YAMAHA! I buy those bikes too! I have a 76' project sitting. Cooler than a 750 twin Kaw (Sorry 750 twin owners)

i have to agree. The Yamaha XS 650 (at least the 1977....earlier years had lots of problems, and its widely agreed that the 1977 bike was the best of them all) is a much more fun bike than the Kawa KZ750, and the Yamaha is faster too.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 17:17 #769499 by JWKZ750

Scirocco wrote: Decide for yourself, for me the plugs color looks near perfect

Thanks for posting. Yep I agree its close to perfect, but the bike will only start with choke on for a while, and it makes these strange intermittent bogging noises when running, and has a very low sounding popping noise in the exhaust from time to time.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 17:27 #769500 by JWKZ750
Here is another shot of it
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2017 18:42 #769505 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Do these plugs look LEAN to you?

Thanks for posting. Yep I agree its close to perfect, but the bike will only start with choke on for a while, and it makes these strange intermittent bogging noises when running, and has a very low sounding popping noise in the exhaust from time to time.

Without specific carb info the choke issue could be normal, the other symptoms could point to the beginnings of a carb tear down and clean/rebuild..... Plugs look good I wouldn't worry about a lean condition

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2017 19:56 - 22 Aug 2017 19:57 #769510 by JWKZ750

ezrider714 wrote:

Without specific carb info the choke issue could be normal, the other symptoms could point to the beginnings of a carb tear down and clean/rebuild..... Plugs look good I wouldn't worry about a lean condition

Its really cool to have knowledgeable guys like you and others in this post helping out. The bike (to me) is gorgeous and I really dont want to melt a piston. Im going on a long trip this weekend so maybe the constant fuel flow will clean out the carbs (I plan to do about 75mph for at least 1.5 hours on a 200 mile trip). I also noticed there is a bit of RUST in the tank....
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 19:57 by JWKZ750.