Need help: rough idle and dies when accelerating

More
14 Aug 2017 10:23 - 14 Aug 2017 17:57 #769003 by chikosneff
Dear KZriders,
yesterday I finally took my 78 KZ400 B for a ride. In the past month I rewired coils, headlights, added relays and fuses for all the major loads, replaced ignition coils and spark plugs and completely rebuilt the carbs.. After all this work the bike was running PERFECTLY:: much more power especially at high RPM and idles like a dream. After testing it I decide to take my gf for a ride and the bike immediately starts to lose power and eventually dies when I accelerate, I go around the block and barely make it back home. I start looking for the issue and I notice that both the carb vent and overflow lines are smashed by the airbox against the engine case, this was not the case without the passenger so I believe that the weight of two riders was enough to push down on the airbox to cause this. I reroute the vent and overflow hoses, drain the carb bowls just in case I created pressure in the carbs and start the bike. The bike starts immediately, idles fine (but not as well as before) and dies if I accelerate. When the accident happened I noticed a few drops of oil and gas mixture dripping underneath the bike. What do you think I should do next? Thank you.

1978 KZ400 B
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 17:57 by chikosneff. Reason: changed title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.