Need help - about to give up

More
10 Aug 2017 16:40 - 10 Aug 2017 16:45 #768758 by ric812
Replied by ric812 on topic Need help - about to give up
I just measured the valve clearance and this is what I got;
RH exhaust - 0.15 mm
RH intake - less than 0.04 mm (it is the thinnest feeler gauge I have and it will not fit)
LH exhaust - 0.10 mm
LH intake - less than 0.04 mm (it is the thinnest feeler gauge I have and it will not fit)
Just so I understand. When take the shims out I need to use the shim chart in the FSM to determine what size I need to.order.to.get back to spec.
What is the easiest way to get the shims out? I have seen the tool on Z1 website. Will it require me to unbolt the camshaft?

Here is a picture of the camshaft showing the position when i measured the RH intake and exhaust. Just want to make sure I am measuring this

1982 Kawasaki KZ750M Twin CSR
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 16:45 by ric812.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Aug 2017 23:30 #768982 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Need help - about to give up
Many will say that you have to position the camshafts exactly as the service manual dictates for checking clearances. While I'm not a believer on that, and would say that lobes pointing away from the follower is good enough, if you are new to the bike, there is nothing wrong with following the (FSM) service manual recommendations to the letter - in fact, you should trust it...

The intakes are below the minimum specified clearance, and you can't get your thinnest feeler gauge in there - PROBLEM!!!!! Maybe the intakes aren't closing at all - you have to address that ASAP. If you bring the intake cam to lobes pointing away, and can't get a 0.04 mm feeler in there - can you spin the shim and bucket easily with your finger? If you can, that would indicate you at least have the valve closed when the engine is cold - so your clearance is (somewhere...) between 0 and 0.04 mm. That might help in finding what size shim you will need by using the chart in the FSM. If you can't spin the shim and bucket easily, then you have no clearance, and will need to get the thinnest shim available to put in there just so you can actually measure the clearance to find what shim should be in there....

It is always better to run valves a little loose vs. too tight....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
13 Aug 2017 23:55 #768984 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Need help - about to give up
On trail bikes I had the same symptom. Check that your fuel cap breather is working i.e leave the fuel cap open and see if the engine stalls.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

More
14 Aug 2017 06:05 #768990 by ric812
Thank You kray-z for the information. I will have to check the shim and report back.

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
14 Aug 2017 06:43 #768992 by Kray-Z
I should add that the camshafts don't have to come out for the 750 twin. Do get the proper valve depressing tool for your engine.

I also think your issues are still at least partly carburetor related as well. When checking / cleaning the idle circuits - I not only make sure carb cleaner spray can be seen going through the 3 routes through the carb bodies, but also the enricher circuits and float bowl tubes. I check that light is visible through the idle (or slow) jet holes and the emulsion holes in the needle jet / main jet holder - all of them. When it comes to carburetor problems on a bike that was running fine before - I always look at the areas of the carburetors that are wetted by the fuel in the float bowl first - basically any area that is submerged in the bowl. My favorite of late seems to be plugged idle jets and enricher tubes that are so badly blocked I've had to carefully remove the crud with small number drills. Don't do that to the idle / slow jets unless you know what size smaller drill to use - better to just replace the jets if you can...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
14 Aug 2017 06:52 #768993 by ric812
When I was spraying out the pilot jet and enrichment circuit after I had soaked them I keep seeing varnish come out as a thread like string. I am just doing as was recommended and getting all the maintenance caught up so I can determine for sure what the issue is.

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
14 Aug 2017 06:56 #768994 by Kray-Z

Bozo wrote: On trail bikes I had the same symptom. Check that your fuel cap breather is working i.e leave the fuel cap open and see if the engine stalls.

That reminds me of a problem I used to have with my 1966 Mustang when going to full serve gas stations back in the day. I would get gas pumped by the helpful attendant, then drive a dozen or so miles before the car would stall out. Pull to the side of the road, get out and go back to the rear of the car and remove the over tightened gas cap on the taillight panel and re-install it correctly with the vent open and not compressed / sealed to the panel, shake my head, curse thrice, then continue on my way....