83 KZ750 L3 Exhaust Question

More
03 Aug 2017 14:22 #768262 by Vintage Rat
83 KZ750 L3 Exhaust Question was created by Vintage Rat
Greetings
II have a 1983 KZ750 L3 which I picked up a couple of months ago. It has an old 4 into 1 pipe on it which I have been told is a Wolf pipe. The pipe is extremely loud and the header needs to be removed in order to change the oil filter. I have assembled a set of original pipes for it. The bike runs really strong and I am concerned if I put the stock pipes back on that it will require a complete re-jetting which is beyond my skills. Are the stock pipes really quiet or does it still maintain a decent note? I have attached a pic and any or all opinions are appreciated!

Professional enthusiast. Estate buyer, Dealer and Auctioneer. Dedicated to the Vintage lifestyle.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2017 14:48 #768263 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 83 KZ750 L3 Exhaust Question
It appears that your bike still has the stock air box - that's a BIG PLUS! If you put the stock exhaust back on the bike you should be able to use the stock jetting in the carbs. That will make the job much simpler than if you had to try to stumble on a jetting combination that works.

Take a look at the link below. It points to the Kawasaki Service Manual that includes the KZ750-L3 model. If you look at the index near the end of the manual you will see which pages refer to carbs. Those pages include the stock jetting information and much detail on how to work on the carbs. Read all the carb info carefully and you may decide that you actually can do the rejetting yourself. Ed

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/KZ750E1&H1.pdf

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vintage Rat

More
03 Aug 2017 15:30 #768267 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 83 KZ750 L3 Exhaust Question
Should be an easy fix. Just pull the carbs, remove the jets, and compare the numbers against the factory manual. If anything doesn't match, order new OEM stock jets and install them. No trial and error necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Vintage Rat

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
03 Aug 2017 15:36 - 03 Aug 2017 16:19 #768269 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 83 KZ750 L3 Exhaust Question
Here you will get a better quality scan and colored service manual with 429 pages.

www.750turbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13320

Take the Full manual (128mb PDF)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 16:19 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Vintage Rat