KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting

More
31 Jul 2017 19:34 #768084 by Mr.Wizard
KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting was created by Mr.Wizard
Recently got extremely lucky and scored a pristine Alphabet Exhaust 2-1 in mint condition for my '81 KZ440 LTD. The stock header clamps don't fit it and I'm wondering if it was actually for a 400 but doing a quick mount looks like it's going to fit fine. Does anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket flat header clamp without the width and heat fins? Seems easy enough to fab some up but if there's a close option or anyone knows a good fabricator I can order some from cut to size I'd like to grab them so I can hear this thing in all its glory. Can't find any literature online and the package only came with the headers and cone.

Here's a few images attached.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2017 19:42 #768085 by Mr.Wizard
Replied by Mr.Wizard on topic KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting
Fixed images, is there an edit function on here?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
01 Aug 2017 05:42 - 01 Aug 2017 11:52 #768105 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting
Howdy. You might need to get shorter half-moon exhaust collars, but I don't know what will work.
The Alphabet exhaust appears to have flanges welded to the header tips, but the stock exhaust pipes are flared.
On the KZ650 for example, the 81-83 CSR models have welded-on flanges & use shorter split keepers than the earlier 650s which are flared. Patton has posted good pics here on KZR showing the flared header tips --->>> Exhaust copper o-ring too thin

Here's another topic with more good pics. Exhaust split collar?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2017 11:52 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.Wizard

More
01 Aug 2017 09:52 #768120 by Mr.Wizard
Replied by Mr.Wizard on topic KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting
Thanks Martin. The collars are definitely an issue as well. Compounding that the length of the flanges won't allow for the clamp to be used at all without looking really out of place (And the studs aren't long enough to boot) so any new collar solution seems like I'd have to have a new clamp solution that mated with it anyways. I may just take it to shop and see what they say.

More
01 Aug 2017 11:43 - 02 Aug 2017 05:24 #768123 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ440 Alphabet Exhaust Mounting
If you can't find shorter half-moon exhaust collars, a machine shop might be able to cut yours. or cut down a suitable set.
note: cutting the 440 keepers may not be an option. from eebbaayy photos the 440s are different from the others I've seen.
At partzilla compare the KZ650-CSR, KZ305, & KZ550. The 650-csr half-moons are short, but they may be too wide for the 440. not sure. ???

Exhaust gaskets. by comparing the OD & ID of the gaskets from other models, you might be able to figure out what half-moon exhaust keepers would be a good option. Z1Enteprises.com usually has the dimensions. Also in case you have fitment problems after figuring out the other stuff, there are thicker fiber gaskets that might work. Suzuki. Yamaha. et al.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2017 05:24 by martin_csr.