1982 KZ750E Top End Rebuild Afterthoughts.

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2017 11:02 #767083 by ThatFiveOhTho
1982 KZ750E Top End Rebuild Afterthoughts. was created by ThatFiveOhTho
So, after my first ride and official break in, I can finally say the rebuild is done and running well. I rode thirty miles, giving about a minute or two to idle, and varying rpm and engine load sufficiently using engine braking as well. I will be re-torquing the head when the engine has cooled down, but I thought I would share my experiences to help someone considering tackling a rebuild for the first time.

1. Get a good ring compressor or 4. I lodged a hammer into my driveway to prevent myself from lodging it into the cylinders, probably the most difficult and frustrating task was made difficult because I was too cheap to buy ring compressors.

2. The base gasket is hell to remove, and on a lower milage bike you can essentially forget it. Expect all methods to fail and for you to regret pulling the jugs off. My gasket happened to come off perfectly between the jugs and the gasket surface so I used some 3bond type sealant on the gasket face in a very small amount around the face. I do not recommend this nor do i encourage it, I have done so at my own demise. I did not, however, cheap out on the orings. Once those are separated, replace them with Kawasaki parts. Most of mine were flattened and worthless.

3. Don't cheap out on the Pistons clips either. Pulling them out carefully and comparing them to the new ones you can tell they get heat soaked and shrink, losing there springyness.

4. For the record, my bike fired up on the first press of the starter button, and despite using atf to lube up the cylinders, did not smoke or pop. I berry honed the jugs to a good crosshatching pattern, and lapped the valves as well.

5. My compression ranged between 110 and 120 on a fresh rebuild with no start up yet. I will report back numbers when I have retorqued the head.

6. Even on a 6000 mile bike the valve seals were failing. I've replaced them with viton stuff and am glad I did.

I think above all else, get the ring compressors. That was the worst part of what could have been a pleasant experience. I didn't take many photos but I will post the ones I did take below.

1982 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatFiveOhTho
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2017 11:06 #767084 by ThatFiveOhTho
Replied by ThatFiveOhTho on topic 1982 KZ750E Top End Rebuild Afterthoughts.

1982 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.