Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?

More
14 Jul 2017 11:34 #766936 by Shdwdrgn
I have a dual exhaust from a KZ900 that I want to use on my 1981 KZ1000. On my newer bike there is a plate on each side that the foot pegs mount to. This plate has an upward slope on the back side and I would like the exhaust pipe to follow that line. If I shorten the connection point between the header and muffler by about 1.5" then the hanger on the muffler will line up with the hanger point on the side plates, and the end of the muffler will not interfere with access to either the axle or shock bolts, so the fit seems like it would be really good here. First question... will shortening the end of the header pipes have any negative effects on the exhaust?

Second question, and probably the hardest... To get this change of angle I would need to put about a 10-degree bend in the end of the header. From what I've seen at regular muffler shops, their machine would put a crimp in the pipe, creating a bit of restriction. I'm guessing this would definitely have a negative effect on the exhaust? If that's ok then I'll go with it, but otherwise what other options might I have that won't cost more than the pipes? The only other thing I can think of is cutting out a wedge and re-welding the pipe.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Jul 2017 13:27 #766940 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?
Pictures of bike , brackets and pipe would be helpful
Mandrel pipe bending is a possibility, but without pictures I may be very wrong
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
14 Jul 2017 21:46 #766977 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?
I grabbed some pics after messing with the starter problem, hopefully this gives you an idea.

So this is how the pipes are hanging on the bike at the moment (literally hanging because I wired them in place so I could try and start it). The idea would be to bend the header just in front of the muffler clamp, far enough up that the muffler itself would still be able to clamp onto a round section of pipe.

Another angle...

Here's another shot I took a few years back. The pipe is round for most of the distance, and only flares just as it is meeting up with the dual pipes. I believe the spot where I would need to put the bend is still round, so while a mandrel bend would certainly be ideal, I've never found anyone in the area with the equipment to do it.

So as I mentioned, would a muffler shop bender put too much of a restriction in the pipe because of the way they do their bends? Is it possible for me to do anything at home? Note that the chrome finish will be blasted off later so mig welding is an option.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
15 Jul 2017 04:45 - 15 Jul 2017 05:02 #766984 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?
Snowbum BMW motorcycle --- Encyclopedia.

Snowbum BMW motorcycle --- Tuning: Intake and Exhaust Systems.

Snowbum BMW Tuning: Intake and Exhaust Systems: Addendum #4:
The old 'bible' book on tuning. Still quite good, even now:
"Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems"; Philip H. Smith and John C. Morrison.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2017 05:02 by martin_csr.

More
15 Jul 2017 21:16 #767051 by madmatt1
Replied by madmatt1 on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?
Motorcycle exhaust pipes are generally double walled and thus nearly impossible to bend, cleanly anyways. In any event, even if it could be done, the chrome plating would not like that process at all..

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

More
15 Jul 2017 21:21 #767052 by madmatt1
Replied by madmatt1 on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?
I just noticed what you said about not being concerned about the finish, so cut and weld might be the best bet for what you're looking to do. Personally, I'd just whip up some sort of brackets to connect the pipe to wherever you're trying to station it to.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

More
15 Jul 2017 22:14 #767055 by Shdwdrgn
@madmatt1 -- it's not about trying to find anchors for the pipes, that part is easy to fabricate. The goal here is to change the angle of the pipes as they come out from under the engine. Instead of going straight back as in the picture, I want the pipes to come up to around the lower rear shock mount.

One advantage of going with welding... the muffler has quite a bit of open space before it hits the packing. If I made the change there, it would give the same profile but allow the muffler to sit about an inch lower, giving more clearance around the rear foot peg. The down side is that the flow from the header would no longer be centered when entering the muffler, which I imagine would have a negative impact on the exhaust performance.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
16 Jul 2017 08:48 #767073 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Who to talk to about exhaust modifications?

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
18 Jul 2017 20:12 #767288 by Shdwdrgn
So I whipped up a mock-up of the plan with my awesome (or not) photoshop skills to show what I want to do here. Ignore the bottom pipe, it's the angle that I want to achieve. It *should* just be a matter of cutting out a 10-degree V, then welding the muffler back together again, I think?

If I wanted to get really crazy with it I could calculate the volume of the wedge I'd be cutting out, then add a short piece of straight pipe between the welds to recover that volume, but I think we're only talking about a couple of cubic inches and I would bet people have made far more radical modifications without affecting how the engine runs.

1981 KZ1000-JK1