1975 KZ400D Oil Leaks even after service bulletin

More
14 Jul 2017 11:17 #766934 by brettlawton
Hello All, Working on my first project KZ. I got it running and it leaks oil terribly from the head gasket area. I complied with the entire service bulletin regarding oil leaks. I used genuine Kawasaki NOS parts. Everything torqued to spec with calibrated tools. Performed the 5 minute run and complete cool down and retorque. I start up the engine yesterday and oil is leaking out between the cylinder head and cylinder on the back side of cylinder one at the gasket. It's bubbling out.

Are there any technicians who have successfully stopped an internal oil port kz400 from leaking oil? At this point I'm contemplating sending it to a qualified experienced person for repair. Are there any technicians in the SE WI area that would like to inspect and repair this engine? I could ship the engine if that would be helpful. I'm an aircraft technician by trade, but disassembling and reassembling the engine again to have it leak oil again is not sounding attractive. Is head warping common? I'm very frustrated and just want to ride.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2017 13:53 #766942 by DFIGPZ
Back when I was a Kawasaki Tech I did a few many moons ago I am in Maryland .

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
15 Jul 2017 17:14 #767033 by VTEC
Did you check the warpage with a straight edge at the head and block?

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
17 Jul 2017 07:35 #767158 by brettlawton
Replied by brettlawton on topic 1975 KZ400D Oil Leaks even after service bulletin
I did not check the cylinder or cylinder head mating surfaces for true. It didn't even occur to me to do so. I've never actually seen a warped head or cylinder mating surface in real life, but then again I'm not motorcycle tech. Is this a common occurrence in the air cooled motorcycle engines?

More
17 Jul 2017 14:57 - 17 Jul 2017 15:08 #767200 by VTEC
Very common, air cooled engines burn up in traffic. Head and block deck warpage is the first thing to check when tearing down the top end -- especially if an oil leak was the problem. Hot enough and there may be a crack.

Not familiar with your engine, but it looks like an oil passage at the rear outer of the cylinders in the part's diagram. Is that where it's coming out?

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...KZ400+-+D/parts.html

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 15:08 by VTEC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettlawton

More
19 Jul 2017 06:47 #767300 by brettlawton
Replied by brettlawton on topic 1975 KZ400D Oil Leaks even after service bulletin
The oil is coming out within an inch or two of the port. Nice call. I"ll check it out.