1980 KZ440 layed down, temporarily leaked oil?

More
05 Jul 2017 17:42 #766156 by CPLSeraphim
Short story, I was doing a test ride after all the work I have done to get her running. I have done a few of these. A mile here, a mile there. nothing to much. Anyway, I was pulling into my driveway at about 4-5 mph, and the chain popped off (the master link clippy thing is shaped like a U.) Probably a little slack and an alignment issue is my assumption as to what led to the issue, and me laying it down.

Anyway, I have a slight bend in the clutch rod, so I will be replacing that, some lights and the windshield I put on. However, when I laid her down, and got up, and parked it, it was leaking oil. I am not sure how much, but a lot of it. I assumed I cracked the case. However, after putting it in the garage for a few days, I decided to look for the leak. I also decided to keep the bike and work on it. I see no crack, and I put 2 quarts of oil in it, and not leak. I ran it, and no leak.

Is it possible that because of it being laid down, that it moved the oil to where it is not supposed to be, and leaked because of that? It was leaking out of the chain (left) side but I have no idea why. I removed the cover days later (when I wasn't as pissed or sore) and can't figure it out.

I plan on taking it to a shop to really look at it before I ride it again, but I do not understand why it's not leaking oil now?
Thanks in advance

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2017 18:36 #766166 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic 1980 KZ440 layed down, temporarily leaked oil?
which cover? Stator or sprocket?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
05 Jul 2017 18:37 #766167 by stratman
Replied by stratman on topic 1980 KZ440 layed down, temporarily leaked oil?
It could have leaked out through the clutch rod seal, right? If the bike went down on that side, somehow bending the clutch rod, and laid there for a few seconds, seems like you could lose a decent amount of oil that way.

-Barry

1981 KZ650 CSR

More
06 Jul 2017 05:54 #766212 by Nerdy

Nebr_Rex wrote: which cover? Stator or sprocket?

If it's the same as my KZ400 (which I believe it is) the sprocket cover covers the countershaft, the shift shaft, and the clutch push rod.

Mine did the same thing last year. For short hops it was fine, but after an hour or so ride it began to leak. It was not immediately clear which one was leaking, but right now I am having all three seals replaced because why not?

For CPLSeraphim: if you had a lateral load on the clutch push rod you may have damaged that seal. If it's the original (and it likely is) the rubber piece in the middle may have been deformed. The bad news is that particular seal has been discontinued and is difficult to find. I had ordered one from BikeBandit, and the day it was supposed to arrive they emailed me to say that they didn't have it and couldn't get it. :( I ordered one from eebbaayy yesterday; we'll see how that goes.

The Kawasaki part number is 92050-068. I believe the same seal fits the 400 and the 440.

While we're on the topic...

Countershaft seal: 92049-1508

Shift shaft seal: 92051-005

Good luck! B)

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

More
07 Jul 2017 06:13 #766300 by CPLSeraphim
Replied by CPLSeraphim on topic 1980 KZ440 layed down, temporarily leaked oil?
Sprocket cover.

It leaked all the oil it leaked while sitting there after the lay down. It has since been filled and hasn't leaked a drop.

Also, the clutch rod only bent because of the chain braking in the cover. it is a slight bend, and nothing to terribly bad. Still replacing though.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost