Exhaust wrap revisited

More
04 Aug 2017 08:44 - 04 Aug 2017 08:45 #768304 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Exhaust wrap revisited
Most of the paint on mine was badly pitted, plus I had to chop and weld frames together to get something usable... There just wasn't anything smooth enough to be worth the effort of feathering out so I just started from scratch.

I looked at your pic. My god, it looks just like what I started with - completely stripped of all mounting brackets and nothing but the bare pipe around the seat. What style are you going for? I assume that's what PO of my bike was also trying to do. I was lucky in finding someone who was selling the *back* half of a bike, including most of an engine, so I just combined the two frames to get back to stock.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 08:45 by Shdwdrgn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2017 19:43 #768361 by KGKZ1K
Replied by KGKZ1K on topic Exhaust wrap revisited

Shdwdrgn wrote: Most of the paint on mine was badly pitted, plus I had to chop and weld frames together to get something usable... There just wasn't anything smooth enough to be worth the effort of feathering out so I just started from scratch.

I looked at your pic. My god, it looks just like what I started with - completely stripped of all mounting brackets and nothing but the bare pipe around the seat. What style are you going for? I assume that's what PO of my bike was also trying to do. I was lucky in finding someone who was selling the *back* half of a bike, including most of an engine, so I just combined the two frames to get back to stock.

Not sure yet as its pretty bad. Everything has been played around with...tabs cut off, half ass braces welded in, complete wiring harness pulled out, no air box and limited plastic.
The guy who owned this previously didn't do it any favors......however.
I am gonna start to build it an put up a thread soon....there are a few things that interest me about it.....frame and rims were powder coated at some point, it has a dyna ignition,green coils and an aluminum gs1000 swingarm. I can't wait to break open the mill and see if there are any surprises lurking inside.
I'm leaning towards a modern front end swap with a custom fabricated aluminum swingarm (+6ish??)and 17" rims....might as well play with this one as its in no way a restoration candidate.
Cheers!

1980 kz1000 LTD
1982 Kz1000B
1980 honda cm400
2x 1993 zx7
1991 zx7 project
1978 km100
1979 'zuk PE250
1993 yz125
....all kinds of other cool shit
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.