Really low idle after being rained on

More
23 Jun 2017 05:53 #765130 by Dwoolley
Really low idle after being rained on was created by Dwoolley
So I rode my 1982 kz440 to my new place on Wednesday and it was idling at about 3000 which i knew i needed to adjust before my next ride. On thursday it was raining for most of the day and i didn't have a way to cover up the bike so it got rained on. Today i went out to ride it to work and it started fairly easily, only a little rough. But as i was putting my gear on and letting it warm up it randomly died and was idling at about 500. I couldn't get it to idle above that even by adjusting the idle screw. Any ideas of what I need to fix? Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2017 06:03 #765132 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Really low idle after being rained on
Does the bike have the stock air box or pods on the carbs? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jun 2017 06:05 #765133 by Dwoolley
Replied by Dwoolley on topic Really low idle after being rained on
It has the stock air box.

More
23 Jun 2017 06:19 #765135 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Really low idle after being rained on

Dwoolley wrote: So I rode my 1982 kz440 to my new place on Wednesday and it was idling at about 3000 which i knew i needed to adjust before my next ride. On thursday it was raining for most of the day and i didn't have a way to cover up the bike so it got rained on. Today i went out to ride it to work and it started fairly easily, only a little rough. But as i was putting my gear on and letting it warm up it randomly died and was idling at about 500. I couldn't get it to idle above that even by adjusting the idle screw. Any ideas of what I need to fix? Thanks for the help.

Perhaps weak spark due to dampness, and maybe one cylinder is misfiring. Could be due to old cracked worn-out plug wires leaking high tension voltage (especially when damp). In this event, new Dyna solid core plug wires (available from Z1 Enterprises) should resolve the issue.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
23 Jun 2017 07:14 #765140 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Really low idle after being rained on
Like Patton suggested, probably wet / damp ignition electrics.
Spray coils and plug leads with WD40. (This is the type of problem WD40 was designed for).
A common problem in wet climates. I rode for years in Ireland where it rains all the time

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1