Oil leak

More
16 Jun 2017 14:21 #764536 by mithrander
Oil leak was created by mithrander
I have replaced the tach cable on my kz900 with a new one (cant remember where i got it). Now I have oil leaking down the cable whenever I ride. I have tightened the connection to the head and even applied some sealant to the inside of the connector but still leaks. Anyone dealt with this before. Could it be the cable is not manufactured correctly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 14:48 #764538 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Oil leak
The gasket between the cable and drive is probably missing
www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-92065-103.html

Otherwise the seal and o-ring on the drive are common leak points.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 Jun 2017 15:19 #764539 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil leak
That leak is a very common problem on many KZ models, but it is easy to correct. Take a look at the parts labeled 21-1; 22-1; and 28 in the parts diagram at the link below. When mine leaked I replaced those parts (along with 19-1 which probably was overkill) and the leak never returned. That was 10 years ago. Ed

www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...00-A4-1976/070078B-3

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Jun 2017 08:42 #764576 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil leak

Patton wrote: A leak-proof connection of the tach cable at the tach drive housing will allow leakage past the inner shaft seal to collect within the cable sheath.

Any leakage past the o'ring(s) around the tach drive housing doesn't enter the cable sheath, so it goes onto the fins.

Ideally, the inner shaft seal should prevent escape of any oil whatsoever through the tach housing, even without the cable being attached. And the o'ring(s) should prevent escape of any oil around the tach housing.

The inner seal is replaceable, as the old leaking seals have gotten hard and crusty (likely requiring a dental pick style tool to dig out and remove all remnants of the old seal.)

Without the tach cable attached, a cross country ride should be possible without any leakage through or around the tach housing. Without the cable attached, it's possible to see the spinning end of the inner shaft, which is supposed to stay completely dry and leak-free.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
19 Jun 2017 09:50 #764777 by mithrander
Replied by mithrander on topic Oil leak
Thanks everyone for your help