Hydraulic clutch install woes

More
07 Jun 2017 20:36 #763880 by kzwill
Hydraulic clutch install woes was created by kzwill
I'm working on getting a hydraulic clutch setup on my 78 KZ1000. I was switching the bars anyway so figured this would be a good time. I'm having some issues though.

I'm using a slave cylinder from a 92 ZX-7. I was able to grind the case cover and mount the slave so it lines up properly with the clutch rod. I cut approximately 7/8" from the rod. The slave cylinder was making contact with the rod but didn't seem to have a long enough stroke length to engage the clutch. I replaced the seal and spring on the slave with no change. I was using this master cylinder. smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0DZMOA/r...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With this master cylinder the lever was firm but seemed to lack stroke length.
I thought that maybe the master cylinder didn't have a properly sized piston so I replaced the master cylinder with one from a 96 ZX-7 thinking that it would be a better match. The stroke seems to be even less now and I can't get the lever to be firm with bleeding.

I am using a mityvac brake bleeding kit to bleed the line. I am using new lines from spiegler.

Does anyone know the proper stroke I should be getting in order to engage the clutch. Any ideas? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2017 23:26 #763884 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Hydraulic clutch install woes
Aha! Im also trying to set up a hydraulic conversion on mine. Ive been at it for some time now. Im using a matching master and slave from a 95 ZX9R (so I know the ratios are good) and I havent cut the push rod. Instead I made a mounting plate (I ditched the side case) and have been using spacers to move the plate (plus the piston) further out or closer in. I have been at both extremes and moving bit by bit tried to find the sweet spot. Still havnt managed it. I upgraded to better quality oil a couple of weeks ago,which hasnt helped much. Last weekend I pulled the clutch apart to check the plates.In th process,I broke a coupkle of spring mounts on the inner basket!!!!! Ive ordered new springs and plates and Im looking for a new inner basket.
The saga continues.....!

On the other hand,there are people here who have done the conversion with no problems and are happy with it. Good luck with yours.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.