kz900 A4 rough when warm - ignition coils?

More
29 May 2017 06:16 #763014 by Micke
Hi all Gurus!
Been assembling a kz900 A4 -76 with a kz1000 E2 (-79) engine. Done my first couple of short rides with it now. It starts nicelly and runs really well the first 5-10 minutes. Then it starts to be quite rough - specially in the lower revs. I know there's been quite a few posts on similar before so I have:
- Checked that there is no vacuum in the tank
- Checked the valve clearance (did also shim down a couple of exhaust vents that was on the "limit") - made no difference
- Tried to measure the ignition coils but just with a standard ohm-meter - at least the primary is reading ok
- Tried to feel if the ignition coils get warm - they get a bit warm - but not hot. Maybe the righthand coil is a little bit warmer.
- The resistor doesn't get warm at all (maybe it should?)
I'm suspecting something ignition related - maybe it's the coils... any hints would really be apreciated.

Cheers!

/Mikael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 06:30 #763016 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic kz900 A4 rough when warm - ignition coils?
Coils don't typically cause the issue you mention. Who knows though with 40 year old motorcycle parts. A good place to start would be to remove the plug caps, check them for resistance, and if they check out okay snip off a 1/4" of the wire lead and thread the caps back in place. Changing the plug wires entirely would be a good idea too if you can manage the swap. I'm not familiar with those coils but on some of the old TEC coils the wires are glued to the coil proper, however you can still change the wire by digging it out of the coil. There is a spike at the bottom of the hole in the coil so be careful to not break this off or you will be buying new coils straight away after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Micke

More
29 May 2017 08:22 #763019 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz900 A4 rough when warm - ignition coils?
Would double-check valve clearances.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1