oil question

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 May 2017 08:44 #761724 by 9am53
oil question was created by 9am53
I will be changing coolant and oil in my Gpz, I've always been happy with shell rotella dino oil, but in this case the bike has 98k kilometers, and after a refresh with new rings and such around 12k ago the previous owner started using amsoil. with a liquid cooled bike will the full synthetic really help much? what oil do you guys recommend I use? if the amsoil is really worth it I have a rep at work, but if its not needed I'd rather stick with what I know and like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 May 2017 09:27 #761726 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic oil question
The Amsoil is a good choice if you plan to run it for an extended change interval, and considering the price you will have to in order to get your money's worth. Whether or not a high buck synthetic protects your engine better is a question of much debate. Most agree that it will under extreme temperature conditions, but as you say a water cooled engine shouldn't have those extremes like an air cooled engine might.

Personally I think you will be just fine switching over to Rotella. One caveat though: the new CK-4 formula Rotella is not as proven as the older CJ-4 formula, with the never version having reduced zinc and phosphorus. You might want to hedge your bet and grab a few gallons of the older formula if you can get your hands on some.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 May 2017 10:18 #761728 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic oil question
dumb question, but how can I tell if its the old or new? does the semi synth rotella still have the zddp?

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 May 2017 10:49 - 12 May 2017 05:12 #761730 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic oil question

9am53 wrote: dumb question, but how can I tell if its the old or new? does the semi synth rotella still have the zddp?

All motor oils have ZDDP, it's just a matter of how much.

You can tell the new formula vs the old by looking at the certification level on the container. Since posting my comments earlier I found a link that shows that the CK-4 version Rotella still has a reasonable amount of ZDDP so all should be okay (I think).
Last edit: 12 May 2017 05:12 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 9am53

More
11 May 2017 16:48 #761770 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic oil question
I would use the Amsoil .

1984 750 Turbo

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
12 May 2017 04:32 #761802 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic oil question
why is that?

More
12 May 2017 05:58 - 12 May 2017 06:10 #761811 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic oil question
Because of marketing or maybe he sells the stuff. :)

If I had a ZX900, I would use a good quality motorcycle specific oil. I think Mobil 1 4T is supposed to be a good one.
Last edit: 12 May 2017 06:10 by martin_csr.